For all of us motorcycle riders

Johnnie

Nothing to do with TB's, just a story.
Got a worthwhile education this past weekend. Fifteen years ago, I accidentally let my drivers license expire ( duh ). I lost my motorcycle endorsement, so I gave up riding for a while limiting my rides to just on the airport to and from my hangar and bathroom etc and on rare occasion around my neighborhood. Did get a temporary " learner's permit" , but they are only good for a year or so. Did that twice, but that severely limited where and when I could ride. During that relearning time I became painfully aware of how much I had forgotten about riding.
I thought about going directly to the BMV and scheduling a skills test. But, my bike is a very heavy (500 lb ) '78 Suzuki GS 750 and the slow speed skills test portion with my bike is very ( and I do mean very ) difficult. So, being unable to borrow a smaller and more nimble bike , and not having the balance that I had 25 years ago , that effectively ruled that option out. So a friend turned me onto a basic rider course offered by the state of Ohio that even offered bikes to use. So, I paid the $50 registration fee and scheduled the course. A well spent fifty bux bought me 5 hours of classroom time and two 6 hour days of riding with instruction.
I happened to be put on a little Suzuki TU 250x, a nimble little well-balanced 300lb 16hp fuel injected and spirited little beast, (that quite frankly, I wouldn't mind owning one to ride around my home area. ) Anyway, I became painfully aware of how much I didn't know. Granted, I do know the basics because I bought my ride 38 years ago and have never had an accident -- until pulling into the garage 2 weeks ago when it fell with me on it. ( I used the front brake with the handle bars turned and down I went with a thud. )
Anyway, they made us practice and practice and practice more doing all sorts of stuff like stopping while in a corner until we got it right. ( John, bars *SQUARED* , then brake ! He said on more than one occasion.) We had to do figure 8's in a 20x20 foot box without going over the lines or putting our foot down, emergency / panic stops, a "swerve to avoid" from 20 mph, how and where to look when cornering and stuff like that. (I came close to, but I didn't drop my bike . A couple of girls did but escaped unscathed thanks to all the safety gear that they required for us to wear.) on an interesting footnote : I will say this.... Damn my legs are sore. I used muscles I have evidently not used in quite some time.
All in all, this was a very good decision I made. I am ,by far, *not* an expert rider now, but rather much more aware of my skill set.
If there is any fellow Ohioans looking to ride, I highly recommend this rider course. Money very well spent.

Maybe like you I grew up with Evil as a hero of mine but the parents would never allow me a 'scooter'. Under secrecy they allowed my older brother to buy one only to get that knock on the door, hours past my bedtime for school the next day. One month in the hospital, three months in bed with mom nursing me back to health and cleaning my wounds was enough. I was also sworn that while she breathes air I will never ride again, mom is the Boss ;)! I love bikes and would like a weekend/country road cruiser but then I remember why I cannot pick my nose with my right hand....:D
131121_0001.jpg

At the school I went to the Teacher told us that we have enough traction to turn OR brake but prob not both. So The idea was to brake before the turn then roll on the gas through the turn. And look where you want to go.

At the school I went to the Teacher told us that we have enough traction to turn OR brake but prob not both. So The idea was to brake before the turn then roll on the gas through the turn. And look where you want to go.

Yup. They told us exactly the same thing...... And those were some of the tidbits of wisdom I didn't know...

On kind of a related learning note, pilots are required to fly with an instructor once every 2 years. It's called a BFR , or biennial flight review. I have a fav instructor, a woman with over 15k flight hours and it's like flying with your mom. I would review with her , on average, every 6 months or so. I would always learn *something* and have fun doing it.

I call that the Nelson Piquet technique.

Stay safe my two wheeled brothers and sisters. :)