FMIC radiator box in??

jpratt

I have been thinking about building or buying a set up to box in the radiator FMIC combo. I have seen several vendors sell box in kits for SLIC but none for front mounts. I have a RJC front mount, anybody have some thing they would like to share pictures of?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Absolutely, ill take some pics tomorrow. I used some rubber floor mat material (we had rolls of it lying around work). I made two side pieces, a "floor", and a removeable panel between the air dams where the ic scoop was. I have my oil and trans coolers mounted to the lower rad support so this panel makes it easy to install the hoses. Makes a HUGE difference in cooling, all air that enters through the grill has to exit through the radiator.

I am interested in pics too. I just finished going to a FMIC and now have to redo the trans cooler. I've thought about mounting it between the air dams but I don't know. That might be in the way of boxing in the radiator.

sorry for the delay, weather has been lousy. here's some pics from various angles. i also cut out the license plate area of my bumper (and the support underneath) to let a little more air at the trans and oil coolers. i covered the opening with the center out of a broken grille, looks factory-ish hahaha. it was an experiment, and since i like it i'm going to get it rechromed so the edge wont rust like it is starting to. i used gm push pins and zip ties to hold all the pieces together, i had remnants of the stock side flaps so i cut pieces to make the box and attached them to the existing oem rubber and sandwiched the bottoms between the air dam "legs" and the rad support, then used push pins to secure along the air dam from the inside out.

forgot pics

Attachments

• front mount 001.JPG
    front mount 001.JPG
    681.3 KB · Views: 196
  • front mount 002.JPG
    front mount 002.JPG
    718.3 KB · Views: 135
  • front mount 004.JPG
    front mount 004.JPG
    714.4 KB · Views: 130
  • front mount 005.JPG
    front mount 005.JPG
    676.9 KB · Views: 132
the middle one is with the flap between the air dams open and the last one is upside down looking at the hoses and bottom of i/c

Attachments

• front mount 006.JPG
    front mount 006.JPG
    711.6 KB · Views: 112
  • front mount 007.JPG
    front mount 007.JPG
    691.4 KB · Views: 105
  • front mount 010.JPG
    front mount 010.JPG
    670.8 KB · Views: 122
When I did my pte f/m I removed the back extension part of the grille, and was able to stretch the original box in material out to the remaining area of the grille and cut notches out of it for the pipes. It was snug but it works. Had to customize the grille springs too. Had no choice since I shimmed the ic forward enough to hit the grille extension. No pics but if you are any good at half assing stuff its self explanatory.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

At work I usually try for 3/4 assed. Very few bystanders can spot the difference between 3/4 assed and full-assed. It's like getting credit for an extra 1/4 ass.

On a really good day I can even get away with 5/8 assed while still getting credit for a full ass.