FMIC Installed !!

CalgaryGN

Finally was able to ditch the puny intercooler that was behind the rad on the GN. Got my frount mount one in as well as the alky system hooked up again, just need to turn the boost up now and play with it ...... goes a hell of alot better now. Intercooler is 24*12*3 and all 3" plumbing from 3" U-Bends. Finally Ill get this whore to the track soon.

buickfm.JPG

fm.JPG

tubes.JPG

tubes2.JPG

what intercooler is that and where did you get it? Looking for one for my car. Looks great on your car.

The intercooler is off of ebay, there are lots of people selling them, dimensions are 24*12*3. Alot of turbomustangs and LS1 guys are using them with great results and so far im pleased with mine. I am able to run 18 on 91 octane so far with zero knock. I believe the intercooler cost me 190USD and the piping was another 150 or so. I did all the fabbing and welding at home so that cut costs as well. If you guys want more pics I can snap a few more.

-Chris

Have you collected any coolant/Intake air temperature data compared to the stock I/C? It would be nice to see more pics....just installed one of these on my syclone...looks like a nice product....I would like to install one on my 87 T as well....how many Ubends did it take? Phil (pacemakr) did this a while back on a t-type....Looks like you did a nice job...

syclone I/C 1
syclone I/C 2

93TY#0475 said:
Have you collected any coolant/Intake air temperature data compared to the stock I/C? It would be nice to see more pics....just installed one of these on my syclone...looks like a nice product....I would like to install one on my 87 T as well....how many Ubends did it take? Phil (pacemakr) did this a while back on a t-type....Looks like you did a nice job...

syclone I/C 1
syclone I/C 2

I dont have any air intake data, but even after a few blasts I can still touch the intercooler piping. As for the coolant, tha car doesnt run any hotter with the FMIC. Ill try to get some more pics later on. It took 5 u-bends to build the tubing. Do you have more pics of your syclone install ?? My sister and dad have a sy and a ty. They both want to ditch their little air to water system and change to what I have.

What chip are you running and what kind of timing? Also what size is the pipe and the bends?

Looks awsome, good job dude!

Looking great! Do you have pics of the mounting/brackets? Did you have to make up your own brackets and where did you find was the best mounting locations? Thanks and keep it up.

86BGN said:
What chip are you running and what kind of timing? Also what size is the pipe and the bends?

Looks awsome, good job dude!

Im running a turbotweak chip setup to run on 91 octane, I believe timing is at 18 degrees. The piping is all 3" mandrel bent tubing. I used a bend with 6" radius coming off the intercooler and for the rest of the tubing it all had a 4" radius.

ULOSE2A6 said:
Looking great! Do you have pics of the mounting/brackets? Did you have to make up your own brackets and where did you find was the best mounting locations? Thanks and keep it up.

I made up all my own mounting brackets, Ill take some pics tomorrow and post them.

CalgaryGN said:
Do you have more pics of your syclone install ?? My sister and dad have a sy and a ty. They both want to ditch their little air to water system and change to what I have.

Certainly....I sacrificed my A/C and engine driven fan for my method.....there are a few different ways to do this though...my method utilized 2, 3" Ubends...I mocked up with steel then welded up some aluminum replacement pipe later....Also my syclone is different than most in other ways such the relocation of my battery to the driver's side.....pics on the link below....

Hi Phil....thanks for posting your link!! :)

syty frontmount

Front Mount

:confused: Good looking front mount,but where is the front sway bar?I did not see it in the pictures.I would love to get this unit,but I must retain the swaybar.

dice64 said:
:confused: Good looking front mount,but where is the front sway bar?I did not see it in the pictures.I would love to get this unit,but I must retain the swaybar.

The swaybar is still there, the intercooler is miles away from it.

86BGN said:
Any performance gains to compare yet???

Well I took the car to the track a few weeks ago for the first time ever. Was tricky trying to launch on my skinny street tires adn all I could muster was a 2.1 60' any harder launch and the tires woudl go up in smoke. But I did manage a 12.8 @110mph on pump gas, street tires and 19-20psi. Once I get some slicks ill head back and try to get an 11 sec time slip.

PTE fmic on my f body 88 IROC.

I used the PTE fmic. I turnd it up side down and ran the 3" piping up over the radiator for ground clarence and it shortened the length of the piping also, for faster spooling.The down side was i lost my hood latch and was forcedto use the dreaded hood pins(which i hate that look). With my ca sitting next to two turbo regals in the hot mississippi (95 degree heat). Using a laser temp gun the pte front mount on the F body temp at the tb was 65 degrees. A t-type with an Easton front mount with 2 1/2 inch piping was about 73 degrees at the throttle body. And the third t-type has a big neck stock intercooler was 85 degrees at the throttle body. I know that these are not hardcore test, but this is what happened this day at those temps. :)

Attachments

• modified.jpg
    modified.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 379