FMI for street use only question

Powder

I've concluded that my next bolt on part should be an upgrade to the intercooler and am concerned about driveability issues with a large FM, like the new RJC megacooler. Overheating isn't my concern as much as surging, etc. that I've only read about and never experienced. Any comments, suggestions would be very helpful before I lay out the bucks and risk ruining a well mannered car. THIA
MLH :confused:

TA49, street use only with alky., get a stretch stocker. :)

No driveability issues. :cool:

Thanks for the input Salvage. That big one Mease offered had some appeal but I do like the idea of shifting the IC out of the engine compartment. My car is also lowered and I don't know if clearance would ever be an issue. This car is a toy that isn't driven much but I will always be trying to make it go faster and faster. Thanks again. I'll consider it from the practical approach.
MLH

If your in the market for a Intercooler, nows the time to buy it once & once only-Buy the RJC
I live in Florida (no cooling issues)
I have Eibach's & Bilsteins (No clearance issues at all!!)

Warning- if you buy RJC's FMIC- you will be buying his pulleys, taking the stock location intercooler REALLY cleans up the engine compartment & creates more accessesibilty-then those ugly stock pulleys are exposed plus when you istall RJC pulley's you lose 95 lbs of rotating mass
HTH
FRED

Mease used to make and may still make different length stretch stockers so clearance with the right one won't be an issue.

I have the RJC pulleys on my GN with his stretch stocker, you can still see them. :cool:

IF I were going to pick a front mount to go with a TA49 it would be one of the used "smaller" yet still efficient ones made to attempt to avoid the surge and overheating problems.

I've got an old CAS V4 and I still get some part throttle surge if i'm boosting over 20 psi. It seems to me a good flowing intercooler will give this problem even if it's a stock mount design. On the plus side, my coolant temp never goes over 180. :cool:

What makes the large FM appealing is the buy it once and you're ready for any future upgrade. i.e. I probably wouldn't buy a Ta49 today if I were upgrading my turbo even though the quick spool blast is what this car is all about. Cruising the street you're not WOT constantly like on a race track but, .... when the light turns green and I feel the urge, I want my face distorted from the G force for that short blast. Its the drivability while loafing along that I'm concerned about. All your comments, so far, seem very sensible and knowledgable.
MLH

I was in your same shoes last month, so while on the phone with Eric of Turbo Tweak I asked him what his thoughts where. He personally likes the front mounts because of the stock location ones tend to get heat soaked. So I bought RJC front mount after talking to Eric. I was also thinking the same as mentioned earlier, I only want to buy one.... ever. But it's your car, and your money, anyway that you go, will be the right way for you. I'm going to attempt to upload a picture from today, that darn silver maple tree has green crap all over the car...
Chuck

Attachments

• DSCN1454 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1454 (Small).JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 158
Thanks for the info Chuck. That's one mean lookin' mutha!! I'm sure you're happy when you're full tilt throttle but how does it behave when cruising the street at less than WOT? I think your point about matching the chip when you make a big alteration like this is a good one also. Whatever I end up with will dictate a chip to match. Thanks again.
MLH

I'll let you know when I get it on the street, replacing the fuel lines now(fuel line twisted off replacing the fuel injectors), turbo, down pipe, 3" cat conv., etc.
Chuck