flywheel loose!!!!!

justin84

done
Any ideas as to why the flywheel and torque converter would keep coming loose? I have loctited the bolts numerous times but they always seem to come loose again. When they come loose there is a clanging that is pretty harsh as you might imagine. Could this be vibration from the trans pump??? It affects the power of the car as well, there is a hiccup at about 4500 rpm and you here a slight clang when you are WOT as soon as it gets up to those RPMs?????

Yeah, it has broke three of these flywheels. I bought a new one from Lee Thompson and it has held up well so far just keeps coming loose.

Go buy and install three new cap bolts and nuts..Leave the dust cover off for a while so you can check them out over the next few weeks.

Grumpy, I think you and I had the same first thought...crank? I really do not feel any vibration but if the thrusts were going this would be a symptom I think? I am curious what you think? Am I way off?

Next time you have the trans out, check the runnout of the crank flange using a good dial indicator. Measure for runnout on the flat surface the flywheel sits on and then turn the indicator 90 degrees and check the runnout of the pilot that extents through the middle of the flywheel. You shouldn't see more than about .003" runnout. While you are at it, measure crank end play to make sure your thrust bearing is OK.

Another problem that "could" cause multiple flywheel failures: If the block has been align bored, the main bore moves up in relation to the centerline of the transmission. Normally the bore moves only .005" and should not cause a major problem. But if the machinist made a bigger move in the main bore to correct bigger problems, the misalignment between the engine and trans can cause this type of problem. Aftermarket adjustable trans alignment pins can be used to correct this problem.

If that looks OK, then the T convertor may be the problem.

Dave

Thanks a lot for everyones input. I will check the crank for sure then if that isn't it I will check the Torque converter. The car has quite a bit of work to be done so it will keep me busy. The person that stole the car has messed it up pretty good.