Flying the white flag. I surrender

Cometics (3 layers) and Hylomar spray here. No leaks. I even reused them. Still no leaks.

Took them apart, cleaned with brake clean, resprayed, reinstalled.

What oil are you using?

Last edited:
I run Cometics on my 340 stroker dry and never a leak.

I'm running Valvoline 10w 40 dino with zinc additive

Try a quart bottle of lucas oil stop leak and run strait 40 weight. It stop 90% of my cosmetics leaking. I still notice a little seapage on the block after a hard run.

Like I mentioned earlier I read about that working. Just wasn't sure what the Lucas stop leak did exactly? Does it swell the rubber seals or have some sort of reaction to air? I was afraid to try it.

I'm not sure what's in the Lucas. I don't see where it could hurt a motor. It slowed my rear main seal leak on my last motor. It lasted 3 years and I just decided to freshen it up while I painted the car last winter

I didn't read the whole thing and this may be a dumb suggestion. Maybe the bolts are too long and they're bottoming out before pulling down properly???
Ask me how I know!?!?!?!?!?

I didn't read the whole thing and this may be a dumb suggestion. Maybe the bolts are too long and they're bottoming out before pulling down properly???
Ask me how I know!?!?!?!?!?
Possibility. Happened to me.

Now there's something I would have never thought could happen. I got my heads and bolts from Nick so if it's what he uses I can probably rule that out unless ARP bolt are inconsistent in length?

My block has been decked twice so there's a variable (using .045 HG's) if it's possible to bottom a bolt out at the front and back of the motor. Is it wise to add a washer and re torque? Them back bolts are a pain to get at with the motor in the car and how in the world would you ever get a proper TQ reading doing it that way.