Flow rate on TE6031

Raeban

Gearhead/Engineer/GN Addict
I was wondering what the typical flow range on a TE6031 is. I finally got around to turning the boost up on my car the other night with the build in my signature and can't seem to get any more boost out of it. My boost tops out at 26PSI and decreases a slight amount as rpm increases. FWIW, when I convert the g/s from my MAF (extender chip) I get 57#/min of flow.

Here is a screenshot from the other night. I stopped pulling on it around 5400ish when it became obvious I wasn't getting any more out of it. I double checked my boost control system as well and everything is in order there.

upload_2014-8-25_19-56-32.png

57lbs/min in decent air is about all you will get with a stage 3 turbine. You can use an external wastegate to drop some ex pressure and get more out of it if you have a way to rig it up properly. It's trial and error but the compressor you have is good to 62lbs/min in the same air if you can drop backpressure

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Thanks Bison, air on that run was mid 80's ambient with typical Florida evening humidity but it is the best I will get for another month or so. Rather than make the switch to an external gate right now I will just get the tune cleaned up for 26PSI and enjoy it for a bit and then start shopping for a more modern turbo.

Last edited:
If you are pulling or adding any fuel with the MAFT it does that by adjusting the MAF signal to the ECM, so you may be getting a different flow rate per your MAF reading unless you have already corrected your 57 lbs/min for MAFT adjustments.

If you are pulling or adding any fuel with the MAFT it does that by adjusting the MAF signal to the ECM, so you may be getting a different flow rate per your MAF reading unless you have already corrected your 57 lbs/min for MAFT adjustments.

Yep, that is why I am reading the MAF values in the TunerPro datalogging, as the PL MAF values are usually quite a bit lower with my current tunes.

I figured, just thought I would mention it.
Off topic, have you noticed any quirks while logging with TunerPro?

None that I can remember other than my laptop doesn't like bumps in the road from time to time. Been using it for about 3 years or so now. What is acting up on yours?

With the laptop plugged into the MAFT, I was having boost control issues. The start duty cycle was correct, but the duty cycle would fall off, and boost would drop, it would not hold what was programmed. I quit logging with the tunerpro at that point. Works fine when not plugged to the laptop. Bob said it was a quirk, and I just started using the PL only. I may try to chase it down at some point.
The only other thing I encountered which is not a malfunction, I was pulling a fair amount of fuel because I had the fuel pressure up a little to compensate for the small injectors to keep the duty cycle @ roughly 80%, and also to compensate for the alky. I dropped the MAF signal enough to drop the LV8 which was not at a WOT point for timing. I was getting 27 degrees instead of the MAFT programmed timing of 24 in 1st and 2nd. I ended up compensating the base fuel with the feature in the chip, and fine tuning with the MAFT, which fixed the problem. I really need bigger injectors, just time and money. I've added some hardware to the engine, so injectors will be coming soon (I hope).
Overall I really like the MAFT, not ready to try the speed density yet, I like the translator mode and the closed loop boost control.

Yeah I love the closed loop boost control feature, and have not messed with the speed density side yet either. Your issue with the laptop being plugged in is weird for sure. I would try a different laptop if possible or maybe try setting the gain to 0 and force the DC% to the appropriate setting to see if it is just the closed loop side getting quirky?

Good idea, I should have the car back on the road in a week or two, I will give it try.