Flexplate question - neutral balance vs external balance

J-Rod

We just pulled the transmission on ou car and the flexplate is cracked in several places. In looking over the forum everyone seems to recommed a JW flexplate to replace the stocker. But, in reading, most people say the factory flexplate is externally balanced, and to order an externally balanced JW flexplate.

In looking over the stock flexplate that was in our car there are no external weights that would indicate external balancing of any sort. It looks to be neutrally balanced. My plan was to order the JW neutrally balanced flexplate to replace the stocker as I see no point in order a wheel that would be "out of balance". But I wanted to see if I am justy missing something.

The balance comes form the holes in the stock plate not a weight, a neutral balance flexplate is soild. If you have a stock crank do yourself a favor and get the external
Mike

The balance comes form the holes in the stock plate not a weight, a neutral balance flexplate is soild. If you have a stock crank do yourself a favor and get the external
Mike

Thank you Mike. After looking over a picture of the original flexplate that was sent over to me I can see what you are referring to with the asymetic pattern of the holes in the flexplate. Thanks for your help.

The 3.8 is an external balance engine..more holes on one side of the flywheel than the other and the damper/harmonic balancer is thinner on one side than the other...if your doing a rebuild you can convert it to internal balance via the balancing process...Bud Smith