Fixin' to install my Art Carr shift improver kit...

lyonsd

...real soon.

While I'm at Autozone/Advance/whatever, is there anything else I need to pick up besides tranny fluid? Looks like there's already a gasket and filter in the box. Just want to make sure I don't have to make any uinexpected trip to the parts store.

And here's a question about transmission coolers....

Which one should I get? I've heard answers to this question that were "get the biggest one you can". Well, which make and model/part number?

I see a lot of them in the Summit catalog. Some are rated by vehicle weight, and look like they're made for big trucks. Can anybody be more specific? Which one is commonly being used on Turbo Regals?

And do you run it in series with the existing stock tranny cooler? If so, do you put it before or after the stock cooler? Or do you just bypass the stock cooler?

Thanks.

Originally posted by lyonsd
...real soon.

While I'm at Autozone/Advance/whatever, is there anything else I need to pick up besides tranny fluid? Looks like there's already a gasket and filter in the box. Just want to make sure I don't have to make any uinexpected trip to the parts store.

And here's a question about transmission coolers....

Which one should I get? I've heard answers to this question that were "get the biggest one you can". Well, which make and model/part number?

"Yes get the biggest you got room for."

I see a lot of them in the Summit catalog. Some are rated by vehicle weight, and look like they're made for big trucks. Can anybody be more specific? Which one is commonly being used on Turbo Regals?

"28000 lbs"

And do you run it in series with the existing stock tranny cooler? If so, do you put it before or after the stock cooler? Or do you just bypass the stock cooler?

"run it in series"
Bruce
WE4

Thanks.

Who has installed one of these before?

I'm looking through the instructions of this shift kit and it appears to be pretty involved. And I don't understand many of the terms.

How difficult is this for somebody whose only experience with these transmissions is changing the fluid, filter and pan?

I did the same thing, had done only one trans pack shift kit before and before that had the same experience that you have. The GN was the second shift kit I did and it was the Art Carr kit. The thing to do is do it very carefully, step by step and study the pix very closely before doing anything, then study them again. Meausre twice, cut onec......if you take your time, I'm sure you can do it, I did.....Just follow the directions to a "T"....from what I remembe, there is a piston keeper or two to remove and it is sorta tough, don't remember what I did exactly.......just be careful with the parts and above all else....KEEP IT CLEAN! From what I remember, the toughest part was re-installing the valve body/seperator plate assemble......it'll test your arm strength.
As for the tranny cooler......I hear that the "plate" type are by far the best, but more expensive too. You want to hook it up in series to the one in the radiator, with the auxillary one AFTER the one in the radiator. Hope this helps.....

Greg

That kit (the Art Carr Hi Tech kit) is the best novice and result producing kit out there. You have the capability. It doesnt ruin anything and results are great. If you need any assistance please call or email..

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com