First time with GN at track, E85

Finally got to the track (Island Dragway NJ) after having this car for 4 years and not knowing what it runs. It's still got the stock cat in place but with Pypes cat-back exhaust, 12" pro-torque lock up converter and 60# injectors running E85, stock air intake, regular radial tires. The best run (23# boost) was 13.36 @ 100.44 with a 1.96 60' time. I was having a hard time launching the car with any consistency.

My question is, my 1/8 mile mph was 82.44, and then 100.44 at the quarter. I feel like it's laying down a little on the top end? One time I got 4.2 KR but at 39 mph. So I added 3% WOT fuel on the chip. On my next run it slowed down to 98 mph. I don't have a wideband but I suspect I might be running a little rich as my blm's are usually around 118 (just driving around).

photo[1].JPG

Were you spinning the tires or shifting when you got the knock? I had the same issue with my car when the tranny shifted from first to 2nd. I checked the knock sensor and it was finger tight.:confused: I torqued it to 14 ft pds and no more knock.

I ran almost the exact same time when I took my car out this spring. Also my first time down the track since I bought my car.

You need to get a WB for sure and maybe a powerlogger if you really want to know what's going on. Once I had those tools I found out my car was waaaaaaaay rich at 18/20 boost. Now at 23/24 boost I'm right in there. probably a little fat but with 3 degrees of timing out I guess I can expect that.

My scanmaster shows on the lean side so without the powerlogger and the WB gauge I would have been adding fuel when I shouldn't have.

Do yourself a favor and get a WB at least.

Yeah I think it happened on the 1-2 shift but I'm not sure. You're right I was also thinking I'm not going to really know what's going on unless I get a wideband gauge.

Where is the knock sensor located? Which WB did you get?

The knock sensor is under the ign coil on top of the rear of the block. You will need to move the coil out of the way to get to it. It's worth the time to check the torque on it. I'm glad I did.

I bought the AEM WB gauge. I did a lot of research and it was a toss up between the AEM and the PLX.

I was hesitant to get the powerlogger because it seemed like a lot of work to install and I was new to these cars so I was a bit intimidated by the whole deal. Again, I'm glad I dove in and installed it. It was very easy BTW LOL.

Now my next move will be to a TT SD chip in the spring. I like the fact that you can target an AFR number in the tune and let the chip adjust fuel while I drive. It's a little more involved but hands down the way to go if you want to fine tune every HP your set up has. I just got my car a few months ago so I am learning but without the ability to log data you either stay on the safe side of your tune and be happy with the ET and mph or you need data to start using an aggressive tune to go faster. I like my head gaskets right where they are ;)

Nice.. was island crowded? Used to do a lot of track rentals there..test n tune.night?

It was Sunday afternoon. There were a lot of cars but nothing crazy. The only time I had to wait a while to make a pass was after somebody spilled something and they had to clean the track. I got in 5 runs but could have probably made 8-10 if I really wanted to.