First Mods to new GN????

MySweet_GN

Hello everyone. I just bought my first Grand National today and I love it!!! Its a 86 with new black paint, spotless interior, and the other owner put everything on it to make it look like a 87 GN. This car is BAAAADDDD!!!! The car is also BONE SOTCK, and I want to start modding right away. What should I do first to get the most out of the car?? I want to spend around $1500-2000 on performance parts. I have seen the Hooker dual exhaust, 3" Downpipe from Kirban Performance, and their 3" Cat as well. What else???

Thanks alot, guys!!!:D

Nick

Scantool, boost and oil psi gauges. You can pick up a scanmaster for about 250 give or take

What he said...

Plus be sure and do a complete tune-up ala the Spring Cleaning over at gnttype.org and upgrade the fuel system (Walbro 340M fuel pump, hot wire kit to make sure the pump gets plenty of juice, adj. fuel pressure regulator & fuel pressure guage that can be see while at WOT!) before doing ANY OTHER go-fast mods.

Another good idea is to hook up with the local Buick club, it can be an invaluable source for tips, help & fun. :)

Congrats & Good Luck!

Doug C

Originally posted by MySweet_GN
Ok, thanks guys. Whats next after the fuel system is upgraded??

As mentioned above - do the SPRING CLEANING FIRST!!!

Doing any mods before getting the right foundation and the proper engine system monitoring tools is a recipe for disaster. (pun intended)

I understand the urge to hop it up, but the basics need to be checked first, regardless of what the previous owner said he did/didn't do.

Definetly fuel system and scan tools! Then decide how fast you want to go, there are alot of guys running low 12's high 11's on stock turbo,injectors,intercooler. If you want consistent 11's bigger IC (or front mount), injectors, bigger turbo. If you go with a bigger down pipe get a terry houston or mease style. Better Chip ( Jay Carter, Red Armstrong,Jim Testa,etc.) If you want to run 20 or more lbs boost on the street install alcohol injection, there are do-it-yourself sites or you can buy a ready to install kit from SMC. Check out all the sponsors on this site and the recipes on www.gnttype.org :D HTH

Ok, thanks guys. Whats next after the fuel system is upgraded??

on center stage 2 with twin te-88's and air-water intercooler. Full tub and a cage;) Seriously though, maybe an adjustable wastegate,dp, and a cold air intake. Thats what I would do but I'm sure someone has better advice than me. I'm probably forgetting something.

I've personally read conflicting opinions about installing a 3" down pipe early on in yer car's mod history. Some say they don't benefit you unless you're already going fast.

HOWEVER ... for every day driving; my 3" THDP and TH Test Pipe w.dump is prolly my 2nd favorite mod to date (2nd only to alky). I don't know if it helped me GO faster, but I can sure HEAR the turbo alot better, seems to spool a bit faster now, and taking the dump off on a friday night and pullin next to Mustangs / Camaros is the best! These things sound down right MEAN without a muffler! And the turbo sounds likes it drilling into your head!

I agree with everyone else ... get the Fuel system up to snuff and get a scanmaster before you even THINK about flooring your accelerator! But I haven't regretted the DP w.test pipe yet....

jus my $.02.

HTH

Cat removal

Removing the Cat. and putting in a "Test tube" made a major difference in my car,,,,,Learn/read etc. as much as you can about these cars they are truely unique and hard to find people who really know how to work on them,,,,there is a lot of power in there but you have to be carefull or things could go BOOM when you don't want them too!!!!! Direct scan is good to have you can record lots of Info about what the engine is doing,,,,,,,Have fun and BE CAREFULL

Ok, thanks guys. I look forward to learning alot here. I should be finished with the "spring cleaning" tune-up soon. My radiator has a small hole in it, so I am ordering a aftermarket one. Also my exhaust has a small leak in it too. The other owner welded a Dynomax muffler in place of the stock one and it leaks at the welds. I want to replace it with a Terry Houston Catback. While I'm in there, I might get the Down Pipe as well. With those two things fixed, it should pass Inspection easy and be on the road. :D

dont attempt an emissions inspection with a terry houston TEST pipe installed, heh heh ... leave the cat on 'til the inspection is passed. :D

Ok, thanks guys. I look forward to learning alot here. I should be finished with the "spring cleaning" tune-up soon. My radiator has a small hole in it, so I am ordering a aftermarket one. Also my exhaust has a small leak in it too. The other owner welded a Dynomax muffler in place of the stock one and it leaks at the welds. I want to replace it with a Terry Houston Catback. While I'm in there, I might get the Down Pipe as well. With those two things fixed, it should pass Inspection easy and be on the road. :D

just wondering what radiator you ordered? If you want to save some money, weight and get better cooling you could get the one I just ordered on friday, go to autozone.com and look up radiators for a 1988 Camaro RS 305, pick plastic and aluminum and that radiator will fit the GN, and it costs a measly $117 and not to mention a lifetime warranty and it knocks 20lbs off the front of the car.
Im glad to see your following the tune up procedure.
Get the fuel pump and hotwire first of everything, then adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and adjustable wastegate or bleeder valve(would that work on a non adjustable wastegate?) maybe if you want to get it out of the way the quick spool item that is sold in parts for sale
Definitely get a chip but not after you got some gauges especially a boost gauge(which I have for sale by the way) this way you know where your boost is at WOT

One of my first mods after all that stuff was the terry houston downpipe and test pipe, it made a very noticeable difference

also I know your going for a new exhaust system, might I suggest the ATR single shot stainless, I had the hooker at first but I started realizing that its fairly heavy, so I went with the single shot and I wish I had bought the single shot first, if you can stand a loud exhaust its probably a better investment, it weighs less, easy to install, stainless so no rusting.

If you got the smc alky kit Im pretty sure your car would be a solid 12s car as long as you can get it tuned and with a good chip

Tires did you think of these? maybe some drag radials, our cars are good for hooking off the line so this will make a huge difference.

what are your goals with this car? is it street driven or just for track or what? you will find rediculous knowledge here and try here www.gnttype.org the people here are the most intelligent people I have ever come across and they know everything about the car atleast 5-10 people have had the same problems so dont be shy on asking questions

by the way if you need more info to get started or the websites to get the stuff at send me a private message
by the way how old are you? Im 20

later man and good luck

Carl