First attempt at Powerlogger logfile

x96283

OK, so I'm super excited to have this finally installed. Got it in the mail last night and installed it about 10pm :) Today I familiarized myself with it and understand the interface a bit more. Interpreting the data is a whole other issue that will take time to tackle.

I was hoping to capture a little stumble that I have when the engine is relatively "cold." That being a relative term because it is summertime in Hawaii and it ain't ever really cold as the mainland knows it.

Anyway, after a cold start and a pull down the driveway, I normally idle along to the corner. When I make my turn, I get a little stumble/ chug when I apply throttle to get around the corner. Normally the stumble goes away in about 10 minutes of use or clears up when I hit 10mph or so. I was thinking that maybe the 60lb inj were a little touchy at low speeds, but it seems to clear up once the engine is nice and warm. Once warm, when I pull away from corners or do low speed maneuvers in a parking lot, everything is fine.

In this log I don't know what I'm looking for- and if we even can "see" the issue at such low speeds.

So for this file, I come down the driveway, idle to the corner (about 100 yds), turn the corner (little stumble), idle on to the corner another 100yds (wait at stoplight), stumble around the corner and drive 300yds to the next corner. I wait at another stoplight (city life I tell ya...) and I recall a little stumble there too as I made my final corner at the light (just drove in a big square). End run. The file is long, but I spent forever just waiting at stoplights.

Any insight to share or techniques to better capture this issue?

I tomorrow I'll tap the MAP so I can see boost values. I'll be on the stock 2 bar because I'm low boost anyway on 92 octane trying to run around 14-15psi. If I can score a 3 bar locally tomorrow then I'll do that of course. From there I'll get some cruise logs and some roll into WOT logs too.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Around the block.dat
    454.6 KB · Views: 85
Got the MAP signal tapped and feeding the Powerlogger.

Here is a WOT roll on. I was merging onto the highway and had already set my record trigger for TPS > 3.0. The TPS values still look a little low as I'm pretty sure I matted the pedal. I'm also going to verify the IAC/ TPS settings tomorrow.

Mechanical boost gauge shows about 14-15psi... sensor indicates 13.x.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• wot.dat
    77.8 KB · Views: 42
OK, I made sure boost is down and PL shows me at 13.5psi and still showing up to 2` KR. At what threshold does the Casper's audible alarm go off? I hear the little "ping" at start up so I know it actually works, but I haven't heard any alarms go off yet. Anyway, I would appreciate any insight or feedback about these logs. Cruise2 log is getting on to the highway, then a WOT rollon. Light2light is just traveling down a long straight road with a few lights. I have a PLX SM-AFR on the way for a future install. Thanks!

Attachments

• cruise2.dat
    175.3 KB · Views: 70
  • light2light.dat
    599.8 KB · Views: 61
Your MAF reading is pretty low for that boost level. It's only getting up to around 175 gr/sec. At 13psi boost, I would expect around 230's or higher. This will cause it to be leaner than intended, and might be contributing to your knock.
You might look into a new MAF, or at least look inside your MAF to make sure the screen(s) hasn't fallen out or something.
Eric

Eric's right, You have an extremely low MAF reading! This needs attention.

OK, I made sure boost is down and PL shows me at 13.5psi and still showing up to 2` KR. At what threshold does the Casper's audible alarm go off? I hear the little "ping" at start up so I know it actually works, but I haven't heard any alarms go off yet. Anyway, I would appreciate any insight or feedback about these logs. Cruise2 log is getting on to the highway, then a WOT rollon. Light2light is just traveling down a long straight road with a few lights. I have a PLX SM-AFR on the way for a future install. Thanks!

Properly installed, the Casper's audible knock detector is designed to sound only under moderate to severe detonation. I suspect the lower threshold in which it actually goes off may vary a bit from car to car but I believe it is somewhere in the 4 - 6 degree range sustained. Long beep = severe. Short beep = moderate.

OK thanks everyone! I pulled the MAF (stock) today and verified that there is at least one screen and then used MAF spray cleaner to hopefully bring it up to spec. I will do another run and see what the AF reading is. I was hoping that I was done with "restoration" work and replacement parts for a while :). I will start researching a 3" replacement/ Translator combo now.

I wonder if this is a contributing factor to my 140-142 BLM-- that's my current reading most times.

As for the audible knock gauge at 4-6... I haven't seen those KR levels. Mine is powered off the BAT cavity in the fuse block and I only get a tiny chirp when starting the car. Other than that, it's been silent. I know it works and now I know that I haven't really tickled the threshold yet either. I suppose that's a good thing.

Got a shipping update-- PLX should go in on Saturday.

OK thanks everyone! I pulled the MAF (stock) today and verified that there is at least one screen and then used MAF spray cleaner to hopefully bring it up to spec. I will do another run and see what the AF reading is. I was hoping that I was done with "restoration" work and replacement parts for a while :). I will start researching a 3" replacement/ Translator combo now.

I wonder if this is a contributing factor to my 140-142 BLM-- that's my current reading most times.

As for the audible knock gauge at 4-6... I haven't seen those KR levels. Mine is powered off the BAT cavity in the fuse block and I only get a tiny chirp when starting the car. Other than that, it's been silent. I know it works and now I know that I haven't really tickled the threshold yet either. I suppose that's a good thing.

Got a shipping update-- PLX should go in on Saturday.

Yeah, for the longest time I had no confirmation my audible was working either. It was only after I got a leak in my wastegate hose did I find out that it actually works!

Oh it works! I was getting some funky off-throttle KR readings on the scanmaster-- really erratic readings-- and that caused the beep finally. Not as loud as I was expecting but good to hear (well to know at least it works).

Yep, I'm the guy reviewing log details in the Wendy's parking lot at 1130pm.