FIRE........ My neighbors house 3rd of July

GNgift

Luckiest Guy Ever
July 3, 2010 - So our neighbors house caught fire... My wife lisa saw it. I put it out....

Very strange event for sure.. was out washing trucks in the front yard. Lisa says uh mike SHAWNS HOUSE IS ON FIRE:eek:... oh no. Then its like we knew exactly what to do.. I ran for the fire ext in the tow truck she ran for the door to get them out. They were in the basement and would have never known until it was too late.:eek:

It was one of those small air cond units you put in the window that had caught fire.:rolleyes:

The freakin thing had a 5 foot flame comming out of it. I used 3/4 of my fire ext and it was still burning. I yelled for lisa to grab my gloves... she had gotten the neighbors out so ran back to the truck to grab gloves..

I put my gloves on and I wanted to pull the A/C unit out of the window into the yard but it wouldn't come that way. I used the last of the fire ext and it looked to be out but I wasn't sure I could still hear the electric motor shorting out.. the thing musta been nailed in there. So I pushed the window frame in and the whole mess fell back into the house..

I went in the front door and the smoke was sooooo thick It was about a foot off the floor. I crawled back into that bed room to make sure the fire was out and could see it from the bed.. looks out to me I gotta get outa here.... I then wondered how long I could survive inhaling that smoke.. DUMB - that might have been the dumbest move ever for me... but I couldn't let the house burn down.

Somehow I ended up outside the back door. My wife came In the front looking for me but only made it a few feet before turning back.. She was freakin thinking I hadn't come back out....not good

So I went into the basement and threw the breakers and waited for fire dept....

Just smoke damage. No water used. and the cleaning company has been there for about 4 days getting it all back into shape. she needs the window I broke out replaced and 2 more and a little drywall work but the house is still standing... Crazy day..

I want a neighbor like you....

Bob

Oh TRUST ME ON THIS...........NO YOU DON'T!!!!!! I've known Mike for years.:biggrin::biggrin:

YA, he'd be a great neighbor. 'Cept for that leaving at all hours of the night to tow dead Fords.;)

GREAT job Mike! Way to help a neighbor out! Hey you still gotta come join us for a beer out at the lake. All those years of smoking cigarettes paid off. You have a good tolerance to smoke! I woulda passed out in 2.7 seconds.

Oh TRUST ME ON THIS...........NO YOU DON'T!!!!!! I've known Mike for years.:biggrin::biggrin:

YA, he'd be a great neighbor. 'Cept for that leaving at all hours of the night to tow dead Fords.;)

GREAT job Mike! Way to help a neighbor out! Hey you still gotta come join us for a beer out at the lake. All those years of smoking cigarettes paid off. You have a good tolerance to smoke! I woulda passed out in 2.7 seconds.

L O L!!!!!!:D

Great job, Mike! You sure are such a good man.....if you ever want to move near me, no problem...I'll run out my next door neighbors for you so you can settle in.

Man, what a nice story to read and nice thing to happen....you're a good man. Your wife did a wonderful thing, too. Wow. Such nice, good caring people in this world...you set a teriffic example for all of us here.

Bruce '87 Grand National

The subdivision next to me has had two homes stuck by lightning and burnt down in the last two years (one just last week), plus one home that burnt down as a result of smoking in bed last year. These are fairly new $300K homes...

Thanks Ken.. You know whats funny. Im so stealthy in the tow truck no one ever notices me leave.. I roll down the drive in N and fire it up as I get to the street. And he's off... hahahahaha

Im a good neighbor really. Well my neighbors think I'm nuts cause I am always washing something in the front yard or mowing the lawn or detailing something.. Our drive is 1 car wide and we have 4 vehicles at home.. We do the car shuffle every Friday, Saturday and Sunday to get the GN out when its not raining..

I am a little OCD but I have to say I always give them something to look at... And all of my vehicles are pretty much spotless. hahahahaha...

Bruce, If I ever decide to leave this freakin wet place I will look you up.. I love ejecting rejects from their homes... :)

The subdivision next to me has had two homes stuck by lightning and burnt down in the last two years (one just last week), plus one home that burnt down as a result of smoking in bed last year. These are fairly new $300K homes...

it's weird how that happens when the economy is down and people can't afford their mortgage any more...

Well Thanks guys............ But I have to say a Hero to me is a soldier fighting for his country, A police officer putting his life on the line to save yours, A fireman saving a child from a burning building. Not Mike the tow truck driver helping his neighbors. I just consider myself lucky to be able to help. It's good to be me.

This is chilling, to think he died of lung cancer. Although another example of how special of a person Mike seemed to be.

Man. I never came across this thread.

It just made me sad all over again.

He was truly a good man.

I bet some of his friends have some great untold stories.

Good and bad. I wouldn’t think any different of the man.

D

Another example of what a great guy he was. Hollywood should take the thread about how he received the giftGN and make a movie out of it! No one could have written a script like this and have people believe it is a true story! RIP Mike.