Finding right converter stall speed?

Daniel Jost

Squirtin six
Hello,

I am sending in a Multi-Disc Lock up Vigilante I have and they are doing a complete overhaul on it since it needed clutches and they no longer offer it with this clutch setup and front cover.

I am having them re-stall it and am wondering what would be the optimum stall to have with my combo? I had a 3600 and it seemed a bit loose but I don't know if it's because it's a worn out 9/11 that had a TON of slip at WOT or if a 3600 was actually too much converter?

-3.8 displacement
-Mild ported stock heads and intake
-206/206 roller
-1.55 T&D roller rockers
-Precision GT6776S
-3" DP with stock manifolds
-E85 or 93/Alky depending on where I'm at
-Powerplate and KB upper plenum
-3.42 gear
-28" tire

Thanks, Dan

Do you have any data from when you ran this converter? Telling them a stall speed isn't going to get you what you want because their stall ratings are for V8's. If you have data that I could look at, I could tell you what you want done to it. For example you could tell them to tighten it 400 or 600rpm and they would know what to change. Without track data and going from what you described as too loose, I'd suggest tightening it 400 rpm.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have data but its from the old 9/11 which I suspect was well worn out. This is a multi clutch converter that is from a co worker that I am having freshened up.

So if they have only v8 data sounds like I'm just taking a shot in the dark and seeing which way I need to go from there.

Thanks, Dan

I have data but its from the old 9/11 which I suspect was well worn out. This is a multi clutch converter that is from a co worker that I am having freshened up.

So if they have only v8 data sounds like I'm just taking a shot in the dark and seeing which way I need to go from there.

Thanks, Dan

They're stall speeds are usually higher than actual. A 3400 stall may be more like a 2800-3000. You can probably tell them how fast you want to go and have them get close.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app