finding exhaust leaks

Yep. The old "shoot some ATF into a vac line, with a buddy holding a wad of rags on the tailpipe"...The back pressure from the rags will force the smoke out thru the leaks.

You can also locate a product called "Sea Foam", it is used to remove carbon from engines, creates one hell of a smoke screen. You will be sure to find and leaks using this stuff. The trans fluid trick works too but why not kill two birds with one stone, remove carbon and detect leaks.

also a cheap garden hose cut about 2ft long & hold one end to your ear & the other to the suspected spot, you could hear it spit louder if you have an exhaust leak.
Of course do this while the car is cool.;)

Guys not to hijack this but I have a similar question. I had to change my exhaust around because I am doing a Hybrid. I had to make a custom crossover and modify the Pass side header. I want to get everything ceramic coated but want to be sure there are no leaks in it before I do that. I was going to block off all the openings and hook up my compressor to it then spray soapy water around all my welds to be sure there are no leaks. Do you think this method will work or do you think I should wait till I get it running and try one of the methods mentioned above?

Wonder if you could use one of my boost leak detectors in reverse??? Boost Leak Detector

What would happen if you clamped it over one of your tail pipes and plugged the other one? Pressurize with your compressor and then listen for leaks??? Just throwing this out there.

Kovmat, where do you hook up the air compressor?

I think I can screw a fitting in the bung where the O2 sensor goes. It looks like a standard pipe thread. The plan is to cut a couple pieces of sheet metal to cover the exhaust openings sandwich them between the headers and the heads, do the same thing where the Turbo goes and plug in the compressor. Keep in mind, my engine in not in the car, this would be a real PITA if it was.

Just thinking out loud, if you did this while in the car and did not cover the exhaust ports with the sheet metal. If you pull the valve covers and loosened the rockers so all the valves were closed that might work? Just a thought. I am not an engine guy so I don't know if pressurizing an engine would cause any damage, I wouldn't think so, but like I said not an expert on that.

I think the crossover is leaking but I can't tell where, or could be the header. Is there any other ways to tell. And also how to check the dp. Whats the best way to seal to turbo.
thanks

The best way I have found is to make a plate that bolts where your DP does on the turbo. I took a piece of MDF and marked out the holes, then epoxied an air chuck where the wastegate hole. Take the valve covers off and loosen the rocker shafts, then let loose about 40psi of air in there. Worked for me I found a bunch of leaks, and finally decided it was time for my stock headers to get ****-canned (both flages warped, two cracks on passanger side, at least two on drivers side, and crossover fits like garbage.

Need any more details let me know.

Joe