Finally ready to make an Introduction in MD

jc29236

After waiting to get the girls out of diapers, a little job security and searching the internet adds for a Buick Grand National, I finally purchased a 87 Grand National in 2007. After only a few months with the car I began to find the hidden rust issues. The car was very straight but the T-tops let in enough moisture over the years to do some serious damage. Since the car is from PA we also needed to get the quarter panels cleaned up, inside the rear wheel wells and found a set in some new metal on the rear of the frame, undercoated then painted.

The motor is basically stock from what I can tell and allegedly had a stock rebuild about 60,000 miles ago. This was in the garage for 8 months and today is on the road Just need to put the NOS emblems on.

I read many postings on this website to help get the body and interior to a really clean restored quality.

Jasyon F. in Catonsville MD painted the body, all the trim in Satin black and his friend Charlie with some really great welding skills did the floor pans and fabricated the new metal around the t-tops.

Poly-bushings T-Top front and rear retainer strips, Floor Pans, Bumper Fillers, New gas tank and a whole bunch of other assorted items from Brian at GBody.

Also made numerous purchases for the interior from Kirban Performance to include carpeting, emblems and weatherstripping which was installed by Joe at Auto Seal Tight out of Gaithersburg, MD.

The progress:

Buick Project 001.jpg
fall09 004.jpg
fall09 001.jpg
Buick Project 003.jpg
Buick Project 030.jpg
Buick Project 039.jpg
Buick Project 088.jpg
Buick Project 081.jpg
In the Paint Booth 003.jpg

The end result:
View attachment 154799View attachment 154800

All I can say is WOW!! You must have been terribly disheartened when you found all that!! At any rate, WELCOME aboard!

Hey longball, just saw some post about your car and you are no stranger to the work that went into a t-top car from the Northeast. Nice job on the repair, any pic of the final product.

Nice job! I have seen cars not that bad off & people just give up due to being intimidated. Nice save.

Nice job! I have been there myself and it's nice to see you save another of these cars......Now it's time to enjoy it!

What a lot of nice hard work there! Great! Sure is worth it! Welcome to the board.

Blue Steel.....'87GN

Bweavy- I must say that between you/Gbody and this website, I was able to get this classic back on the road, still a few more things lite the emblems and would really like to get the wider stock wheels on the back.

Welcome fellow Marylander. My car went through the same restoration work as yours. Glad to see another one saved.

Hey longball, just saw some post about your car and you are no stranger to the work that went into a t-top car from the Northeast. Nice job on the repair, any pic of the final product.

yeah, I am no stranger to rusty t-top cars. I should have some pics of the final project soon. Been really busy with other parts of the car, I'm sure you know how that is. Put the new motor in, tranny and convertor couldn't handle new power, so now tranny and convertor are out, figuring out what the best way to go is, keep forgetting about pictures...........