Finally in the 10s

109 block with steel crank and rods, billit caps, CP 9:1 forged pistons, SFI flexplate and balancer, TA solid roller cam, TA cnc ported alum heads, roller rockers and ported intake. Looking to run 9.70s and then back it down for the local 10.00 Index quarter mile, and 6.50 Index eighth mile heads up classes...Not to mention hammering on some local Vettes, Vipers and Mustangs on the street:cool:

Correction...I just noticed a mistake in my original post. My first pass ever with the car was a 12.58, not an 11.58. I was able to whittle that down to an 11.94 by the end of the day.

Actually, Nick is working a deal right now on a used PT70. I'm buying it for the new motor, but I might throw it on the stocker to see if I can pick up another couple of tenths. Stay tuned...

BTW...Where does one get one of those "Ten Second Club" hats?

Normally you have to back up the 10 second run. Maybe I will have a talk with Nick and snag that 70. I will check on the hats and see if they are made anymore.

Not so fast...NHRA requires you to back your record up within 1%. Since I have a handful of 11.01 time slips I think I qualify.;)

Thanks for checking on the hat.

RJ,

Congrats on your new best.
I would really consider running a taller tire.
I have a feeling you could pick up a couple tenths and some MPH.

RJ,

Congrats on your new best.
I would really consider running a taller tire.
I have a feeling you could pick up a couple tenths and some MPH.

Thanks John,

As luck would have it, I just picked up a new of 28 x 10 MT E.T. slicks from cruzn57 yesterday. I'm going to try them out this Saturday to see if I can set a new personal best.

RJ

Very impressive brother, congrats on the new best! I am guessing an update on this thread every few weeks with a few tenths dropped off the ET each time... ;)

Congrats!!

How much boost were you pushing with the Ta60 and were you running open exhaust?

Very impressive brother, congrats on the new best! I am guessing an update on this thread every few weeks with a few tenths dropped off the ET each time... ;)

Thanks,

I bought those slicks off of Lee that you were looking at and I'm going to the track on Saturday to see if I can improve on my time. After that I'm going to put a bigger turbo on the car and see how far I can take the stock long block.

Are you still in the Navy or retired? I spent 5.5 years in the Navy from 1989-1994. Loved my job but got tired of the politics.

How much boost were you pushing with the Ta60 and were you running open exhaust?

Satuday night was the first time I open the exhaust dump. I figured that with the extreme cold that night it might be my only opportunity to run in the 10s, so I uncorked the exhaust. The max boost I could get was 23 psi.

Max psi through the exhaust is 28 psi, but it doesn't seem to make any more power than it does at 26 psi. I'm sure the efficiency of the turbo is maxxed out by 26 psi and the additional boost is cancelled out by the additional heat.

Satuday night was the first time I open the exhaust dump. I figured that with the extreme cold that night it might be my only opportunity to run in the 10s, so I uncorked the exhaust. The max boost I could get was 23 psi.

Max psi through the exhaust is 28 psi, but it doesn't seem to make any more power than it does at 26 psi. I'm sure the efficiency of the turbo is maxxed out by 26 psi and the additional boost is cancelled out by the additional heat.

That is opposite to mine, I gain 2 psi when dump open.

Are you still in the Navy or retired? I spent 5.5 years in the Navy from 1989-1994. Loved my job but got tired of the politics.

Looks like you were my replacement.
After 6 years of service, I got out before the first gulf war.

I was flown off the USS Midway (my old house is now a Museum in San Diego) in the Gulf of Oman in 88.

Hey....do you have a roll bar and harness in your Buick?

What a small world. I spent 7-mos both during and after the Gulf War in Masirah, Oman. We fly out of the air base where the Brits taught the Omani Air Force to fly Tornados.

I had a friend install a roll bar (see attached) and harness over the summer after being asked to slow the car down last April. The only down side to having my buddy do the bar was that he asked me to remove the entire interior and fuel system since he didn't want to be responsible for anything catching fire.

I really struggled with putting a bar in the car, but now I have no regrets as I have been able to push the car to its limits without the threat of being kicked out. I also had the swing outs installed so they can be removed when I drive it on the street.

Attachments

• 87 Turbo T 068.jpg
    87 Turbo T 068.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 87 Turbo T 073.jpg
    87 Turbo T 073.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 190
Yup...Masirah, Oman...they landed us there in a C2, and then we sat and waited in the air terminal building for 13 hours for the USAF to fix the head in their C-141 to take us to Diego Garcia.

They couldn't get it fixed, and said there was a USAF no passenger rule for flights over 4 hours if the heads are not functioning...so they told us we'd have to fly back out to the Midway and come back tomorrow since the Omani's didn't want us as overnight guests either.

A Rear Admiral was with us...he walked up to the crew of the C141 and started tearing them apart...told them to set up some blippin' coffee cans behind the cargo pallets and we'd use those to piss in if we needed to...but they're gonna take us out of there or .... well...he used some very colorful language and specific motivational threats....

We were in our seats on the C-141, 30 minutes later and getting ready to Taxi.

I'm torn on the Roll bar thing....I don't want to do that to a GN...I might just go make a glory pass after a couple tuning and techique runs and see how long they tolerate my presence after that....