Finally in the 10s

RJ REYNOLDS

Well...After a little over one year and nearly 200 quarter mile passes I was finally able to get my stock unopened long block WE4 into the 10s on Saturday night at Speedworld in AZ.

My quest began a year ago November at the 2009 West Coast Nationals where my first pass ever with the car was an 11.58 with zero boost on 5-yr old BFG drag radials. I ended the day with an 11.94 leaving at 5 psi. Over the next 5 months I was able to improve on my times each time out with tuning and seat time, but was asked to slow things down in April after running an 11.41 with no roll bar.

After taking the summer off from racing to get a roll bar installed and have the car painted, I thrashed for a week and literally got the car back together the night before the 2010 West Coast Nationals. With some tuning my best pass of the event was an 11.31.

In early December I switch from 110 to 116 race gas and turned the boost up to 27 psi and ran 11.21 through the exhaust, but it was leaning out and popping going through the traps. The next day I replaced my 50# injectors with 80 pounders I had recently purchased for another engine build and headed back to the track. To my surprise I was immediately rewarded with an 11.01. Over the next six weeks I went back to the track four more times and ran either an 11.01 or 11.02.

At this point I realized that I had reached the limit of the TA60 turbo and that it would take really good air to run in the 10s. That day came Saturday night with the DA at 850’. The down side was the track wasn’t hooking. Anything over 1 psi launch would spin the tires with 1.80 60 ft times. On my last pass I left just as the boost gauge was approaching 1 psi and managed a 1.53 60 ft on my way to a 10.98 @ 119.94 (time slip attached). I have had better 60 ft (1.46) and eighth mile (6.91) E.T., but every thing else is a personal best.

I would like to thank Nick Micale at ArizonaGN for his help and advice during this build.

RJ

Attachments

• 0376_001.pdf
    15 KB · Views: 179
  • rj017.jpg
    rj017.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 654
Well done RJ, you now can chase my 10.74, lots of 60 time on your slip.

Attachments

• 0376_001.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 131
Thanks Dennis...I need a bigger turbo to chase you. What are the chances of borrowing yours for a weekend?:D

^ congrats man. im maxing out my Ta54 as well. was maxed at this years WCN. hope to move up to a bigger unit before the 2011 event

Congrats on the 10 sec pass. I am hoping to have my first one soon. I have the car to do it just need to catch a cool weather track day. Jon Hanson

Wow, and congratulations! 10's are not easy to obtain especially with a stock long block. Is your car full weight. What are your suspension mods. That thing 60ft is great! Congrats again! BTW - Who is Nick:wink: Nick has always been a mentor to me, I would have never have figured these cars out without him.

your hooked now!

your life as you knew it is done, you will be obssessed with going quicker and quicker........
the money pit has emerged! LOL

congrats on the 10 sec slip. I see a new motor in the works, ha ha ha

glad to see you meet your goal ........ for now! ;)

That's something! I am always impressed with the capabilities of the TB. With a little lovin and good technique you've got it done. I'ld like to get there someday.:cool:

Congrats on the 10 sec pass. I am hoping to have my first one soon. I have the car to do it just need to catch a cool weather track day. Jon Hanson

Thanks Jon,

You're right there too...and you definately have the car to do it. Keep us posted.

RJ

Wow, and congratulations! 10's are not easy to obtain especially with a stock long block....That thing 60ft is great! Congrats again! BTW - Who is Nick:wink: Nick has always been a mentor to me, I would have never have figured these cars out without him.

Thanks Ray,

Nick has been very helpful. I have him on speed dial and call him A LOT!!!

your life as you knew it is done, you will be obssessed with going quicker and quicker........
the money pit has emerged! LOL

congrats on the 10 sec slip. I see a new motor in the works, ha ha ha

glad to see you meet your goal ........ for now! ;)

Thanks Lee,

Truer words have never been spoken. I am hooked...and the new motor is almost complete.

Nines...Here I come!!!

Thanks...You're right there. Didn't you go 11 ohs at the WCN?

sure did. problem is i need a better 60'. also turbo is maxed. Over 2:1 on the back pressure. Im going to buy a mans turbo in a few weeks :eek:

I figured i could do a few things to get it. car went 119.5 so its right there

Actually, Nick is working a deal right now on a used PT70. I'm buying it for the new motor, but I might throw it on the stocker to see if I can pick up another couple of tenths. Stay tuned...

BTW...Where does one get one of those "Ten Second Club" hats?