Finally in the 10s

Thanks,

I bought those slicks off of Lee that you were looking at and I'm going to the track on Saturday to see if I can improve on my time. After that I'm going to put a bigger turbo on the car and see how far I can take the stock long block.

Are you still in the Navy or retired? I spent 5.5 years in the Navy from 1989-1994. Loved my job but got tired of the politics.

Those slicks should do the job! Car runs damn good, and with the new turbo I think you will be knocking the ET down even more.

Yep, still active. Sitting at 14 1/2 now, in it for the long haul. Politics? In the Navy? Now way... :biggrin:

Yup...Masirah, Oman...they landed us there in a C2, and then we sat and waited in the air terminal building for 13 hours for the USAF to fix the head in their C-141 to take us to Diego Garcia.

They couldn't get it fixed, and said there was a USAF no passenger rule for flights over 4 hours if the heads are not functioning...so they told us we'd have to fly back out to the Midway and come back tomorrow since the Omani's didn't want us as overnight guests either.

A Rear Admiral was with us...he walked up to the crew of the C141 and started tearing them apart...told them to set up some blippin' coffee cans behind the cargo pallets and we'd use those to piss in if we needed to...but they're gonna take us out of there or .... well...he used some very colorful language and specific motivational threats....

We were in our seats on the C-141, 30 minutes later and getting ready to Taxi.

I'm torn on the Roll bar thing....I don't want to do that to a GN...I might just go make a glory pass after a couple tuning and techique runs and see how long they tolerate my presence after that....

That sounds like the Air Force. With all of their rules and regulations it's a wonder they can get anything done. Since I was a P3 crewman we always deployed to Air Force bases since the Navy had very few air stations over seas.

Roll bar looks great, was it a kit or full custom?

Thanks,

It was a G-body kit from Summit (mild steel), but we used a mandrel bender for the rear bars through the package tray.

Attachments

• 87 Turbo T 065.jpg
    87 Turbo T 065.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 183
Thanks,

It was a G-body kit from Summit (mild steel), but we used a mandrel bender for the rear bars through the package tray.

Really? Hmmm, I thought most of their kits welded to plates and not through the floor to frame. Is it this one:

Competition Engineering 3122-K - Competition Engineering Roll Bar and Cage Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Again, yours looks killer and is something I am seriously thinking about in the somewhat near future. Were the rear bars straight and you bent the ones that came with the kit, or had to bend another set? I love it man, it looks like it fits great!

That sounds like the Air Force. With all of their rules and regulations it's a wonder they can get anything done. Since I was a P3 crewman we always deployed to Air Force bases since the Navy had very few air stations over seas.

Among other duties, I was on the Integrated Weapons Team and was a flight deck troubleshooter for Radars and Weapons Control systems on the fighters aircraft.

On the Midway, I worked on the F/A-18's, but I also spent some time at VX-4 in Pt Mugu fixing various test Fighter systems on F4's, F-14's, A4's and F/A-18's that we would evaluate for the fleet.

If it paid better, I would have stayed in...I enjoyed the job and experiences...and most of the people...:biggrin:

I'm torn on the Roll bar thing....I don't want to do that to a GN...I might just go make a glory pass after a couple tuning and techique runs and see how long they tolerate my presence after that....

I hear you...It's a tough decision. My business partner has a 38K mile GN that runs 11.20s and he's thinking of putting a bar in his car, but the car is so nice I told him to just drive the car and enjoy it the way it is.

Really? Hmmm, I thought most of their kits welded to plates and not through the floor to frame. Is it this one:

Competition Engineering 3122-K - Competition Engineering Roll Bar and Cage Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Again, yours looks killer and is something I am seriously thinking about in the somewhat near future. Were the rear bars straight and you bent the ones that came with the kit, or had to bend another set? I love it man, it looks like it fits great!

That's the kit. They do come with the plates, but we used them to gusset up the frame at all six points since the G-Body frame is pretty flimsy. The bars are long enough to go through the floor and reach the frame. Some like to install the main hoop further back just behind the B-piller to keep it out of sight, but then you need really long legs in order to keep the seat against the roll bar and still be able to reach the pedals. It will also rub on the corners of the bottom seat cushion, but if the bar is installed just behind the B-pillar and just in front of the body bushing no gusseting is need as the frame is thicker in that area (see photos).

The original rear bars were staright, but they weren't long enough for the two bends that were needed for head room in the back seat and to go through the package tray and mount to the shock towers. We bought a couple of longer pieces from a local shop to bend up the rears. We also welded in a bar between the rear frame rails for a future frame notch.

Forgot photos...

Attachments

• 87 Turbo T 011.jpg
    87 Turbo T 011.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 87 Turbo T 012.jpg
    87 Turbo T 012.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 87 Turbo T 013.jpg
    87 Turbo T 013.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 87 Turbo T 014.jpg
    87 Turbo T 014.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 188
If it paid better, I would have stayed in...I enjoyed the job and experiences...and most of the people...:biggrin:

It sounds like our experiences were very similar. My two best friends are from my Navy days and we still talk on a regular basis and our families even vacation together.

It sounds like our experiences were very similar. My two best friends are from my Navy days and we still talk on a regular basis and our families even vacation together.

Yup.
Same here....still in close contact with a handful of my ol' Navy buddies. They've become like brothers.

Man, thanks for those pics and the info. I am glad the CE kit is pretty good, with the exception of those rear bars. I like how the main hoop fits, most times you see ones that look like they will also fit a pinto or something with the differents angles. Looks great man, thanks again. Will have to see about picking one of those up.

Man, thanks for those pics and the info. I am glad the CE kit is pretty good, with the exception of those rear bars. I like how the main hoop fits, most times you see ones that look like they will also fit a pinto or something with the differents angles. Looks great man, thanks again. Will have to see about picking one of those up.

You're welcome. We also lifted the body off the frame a few inches to change all of the body bushings. Plus, it makes it a lot easier to weld the tops of the rear bars. Between the bar and the new bushings I shaved over a tenth off my 60 ft. My previous best was a 1.61. After the bar and bushings I now average 1.51, but have several runs in the high 1.40s.

You're welcome. We also lifted the body off the frame a few inches to change all of the body bushings. Plus, it makes it a lot easier to weld the tops of the rear bars. Between the bar and the new bushings I shaved over a tenth off my 60 ft. My previous best was a 1.61. After the bar and bushings I now average 1.51, but have several runs in the high 1.40s.

NICE! That is good to hear!

Congrats!

Nice to see another GN in the Tens! Looks like you paid your dues - we all know it is not easy to get these cars in the tens - now your hooked and will be looking to go faster - hehehe! Have Fun!

Thank you Lisa,

I read your post as well. Congratulations on your 10 second run. I'm going to step up to a bigger turbo to see if I can shave a couple of tenths off my ET and pick up some MPH. I'll keep you posted.