Finally have a garage!

Undercover87T

Maryland MAGNA Rep
Staff member
Bought my first house at the end of April. Couple weeks later I hired a contractor to build me a garage. Fast forward to September and after a bunch of BS says he can't finish due to health issues (taking his ass to court). Hired a new contractor in October and this past weekend it was completed enough to move my car and all my stuff. It's 14x26 with 12ft 6in floor to rafter clearance and 10x10 door. Still have to finish out the electrical then put up insulation and drywall. Also a family member is giving me a 4 post lift for a house/garage warming gift so that will get installed within the next couple weeks. Anyone have recommendations for a floor coating? Need to do it before the lift goes in, but with temps now in the 30s and 40's I'm concerned about it drying/curing.

Exterior 1.jpg

Interior 1.jpg

Interior 2.jpg

Last edited:
Man I envy you , I need a shop in a bad kinda way . I think a good sealant would work good on your floor . Did they put down plastic before they poured your concrete slab ? If not then it may sweat . Your contractor should have some good info , good luck its a nice shop , Keith

Re the floor coating. Where are you located. I'm kinda in the business, might know someone local.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Man I envy you , I need a shop in a bad kinda way . I think a good sealant would work good on your floor . Did they put down plastic before they poured your concrete slab ? If not then it may sweat . Your contractor should have some good info , good luck its a nice shop , Keith
Thanks. He put plastic down, then compacted stone, then wire, then 5in 4000psi slab.

Re the floor coating. Where are you located. I'm kinda in the business, might know someone local.

Maryland, about 45min NW of Baltimore.

Take pictures of all the walls and ceiling after the wiring and before insulation and dry wall. You will be glad you did years down the road when adding something to the walls or ceiling. I use epoxy paint on the floor. Lastly put a funnel Thru the wall to be able to take a leak.

AHHHHH very good , Sounds as if you have a very good man for the job
Yep, second guy has been awesome. He's putting gutters on today then it's done on his end. First guy it's going to be an uphill battle to get my money back.

Hey Jordan, just noticed it was you when I saw your license plate in the pic. I do have a guy in Md. They do a lot of big commercial jobs. Might do a residential, or maybe one of his guys on the weekend. i'll get you his contact info.
I really like HP Spartacoat. It is a polyaspartic, no smell and can drive on it within 24hrs.
No matter what is used, make sure it is prepped properly. If the contractor says an acid wash is good enough, don't use them. Best prep is a shot blaster, diamond grinding would be good too.

If you're going to put a ceiling in, wire a couple of out lets in it for a drop light(s) and retractable power cord.

Put your compressor outside and run copper lines in the walls and ceiling for stub outs before you insulate, too. :) You'll be glad you did. A retractable air hose is a wonderful thing.

Looks great Jordan!
Wow, sounds like a tough journey, but at least the end result is sweet :cool:

I used a RustOLeum industrial Epoxy on my floor in the barn, it was 10 years old this summer and still looks very good. Not sure about the temperature for application? It's series 9100 DTM. I got a good deal buying it from Grainger with our Company's account pricing back then.

Good luck getting everything finished up.

retractable air hose is a wonderful thing.
The retractable air hoses from Harbor Freight work great , I have one thats been in use for 6 yrs with zero problems and no leaks . I swapped out the hose to a Flexzilla hose and it lays flat with no kinks or memory. 2X on taking pictures of any wiring or plumbing to be covered , you WILL forget which way you ran things .

Also , with your garage being tall & narrow you'll want some side lighting for when you do wheel changes & brakes . Once you put the car in the air you lose a lot of side light . I'm going to add 4' led lights on one wall for this very reason , I hate having to use drop lights . Just put them on a separate switch for when needed .

Last edited:
Also , with your garage being tall & narrow you'll want some side lighting for when you do wheel changes & brakes . Once you put the car in the air you lose a lot of side light . I'm going to add 4' led lights on one wall for this very reason , I hate having to use drop lights . Just put them on a separate switch for when needed .
Once wiring is done yes I'll take detailed photos. Will probably add side lights on the wall, see how bad it is. I have some skinny LED tubes that will go on the inside of the lift ramps to light up the bottom of the car. As far as air, I would build a shed off the back of the garage for the compressor and yard equipment and run the pipe through the wall with connections on each wall. Won't be looking into that until spring.

Got my lift moved and setup while I was off last week. Supposed to get our first snow tonight so looking forward to parking the daily under it.
Lift 1.jpg

Lift 2.jpg