Finally got my 3-4 spring swapped, when does OD normally kick in?

2kSSLS1

Well before I had the spring changed, it wasnt kicking in until 60 mph! I had it changed and now it is kicking in at 38 mph. Is that too soon? When is overdrive suppose to kick in? 38 mph is a lot better than 60 mph, however, now that it kicks in a lot sooner, theres a big drawback...it doesnt kick out of overdrive until 20 mph when Im slowing down and it takes 3/4 throttle to come out of overdrive. My tranny builder ordered 3 springs, he chose the middle one which is the softer of the 3. Do you think that I should have him change it out for the soft one? (soft, softer, softest) I really hate that it takes so long for it to kick down because it really bogs down the motor especially if I have lock up turned on for 4th. It also makes the car surge pretty bad, worse as the car slows down. What do you think I should do? Thanks.

I am interested in your outcome. I have a similar problem. I recently installed a TCI Streetfighter 200 4R and am having trouble with a late part throttle 3- 4 shifts.
I did a search and saw your previous post and now this one where you have changed the 3-4 shiftvalve spring. I haven't decided to go ahead and do that yet. But right now My 3-4 part throttle shift is at approx. 55 mph. I would like it a little lower.
Another recomendation I have seen in my search on this topic was to cut 1-2 coils off the spring in the 3-4 shiftvalve. Right now I only have 300 miles on my 200 4R, and am not in any hurry to open up the pan and make changes yet. TV cable settings only make the shifts closer together (except 3-4) and weaker, or later and harder.
All my other shifts, both WOT and part throttle are perfect, I just want an earlier part throttle 3-4 shift.
My post is down in this topic area, with a subject "TCI Streetfighter 200 4R"
Will you be changing the spring again for the next firmer one?

Forgot a question?

How do the 3 springs you got compare to the original one that allowed the 3-4 shift at 60mph? You stated soft, softer and softest, and your guy installed "softer" how does that sping compare to the original spring that allowed the part throttle 3-4 shift at 60mph??

Im not sure how they compare, I didnt see the springs. He just told me that he ordered 3 springs in which they are all softer than the one that was in there. (soft, softer, softest) He chose the middle one which was the softer of the 3. The car is currently down for other modifications, but as soon as I get it back together, I will take it for a drive and see if I can tolerate the early shift and extremely late kickouts. More than likely Im going to have it changed again, but I didnt want to do it then because I had already drove an hour out to the shop and plus, I didnt want him to think that he did all that work for nothing and was being an ass about it. Anyhow, have you tried letting off the gas for it to kick in? Thats what I have to do all the time for it to kick in at lower speeds, otherwise if I keep my foot on the gas, it will take longer to kick in by itself. Theyre weird like that, or at least mine is. Sometimes I wish I would of just went with a 4L60E that originally comes in these car. (F-bodies) Oh well, we'll see what happens.

So what do you guys/gals think I should do? Leave it the way it is, or go with the next stiffer spring? Before the spring was even changed, OD was kicking in at 60 mph, now its 38. Should I have it changed to get it higher?

I wish it was that simple though. As stated above, he put the middle of the 3 springs he got and it so happen to put it at 38 mph. I dont know what the first one would of done, but I need to find out. Its definately going to be later than 38, but sooner than 60. Ill have to take it back up there when I put the car back together. Id like it at 45 with sooner kickdowns. Thats the main thing I dislike. It takes too long before it downshifts into the following gear. Any way to fix that?