Finally- A keeper 86 T-Type

MIKE Z buicks

"That Buick guy"
I have been registered on this site for some time, mostly checking out the cars for sale . I have been a memeber of the GSCA since 85 and have owned alot of different Buicks-Wildcat, Riv's, GS, Electra 225 and a couple of "project" Turbo cars. Looking on Craigslist-Minneapolis, I find a nice,black 86 Regal T-Type, and he is open to trades. I had a 72 Skylark Convertible that I wanted to make in to a Stage 1 replica and had a shed full of all the parts to do it. The convert was a decent driver but needed a lot of details-a "15 footer". It was a project I knew I would never start. We met at small town that was about half-way for both of us. When I pulled in with the convert and spotted the T-Type, something clicked - I had to have it!
It had 80k miles, newer paint (Super Nice!), buckets,console,tilt,cruise, rear defog, posi-That's it. Must have been special ordered for lightness and max performance- not even remote right hand mirror or power anything. He liked the convert, so we did the test drives. The turbo car had some mild mods-chip,K&N filter, adj wastgate, test pipe, and Flowmaster exhaust. He drove home a convert and I finally had a car to just drive and detail-
"A KEEPER" at last. I'll get some pics posted soon.

The car came with the former owner's booklet with an info sheet saying only 1921 were made. Anyone have a breakdown as to color? buckets/console? At a local car show on Sunday, it got alot of attention and one guy commented " Finally-a Grand National with nice paint". I had to explain the difference and how much rarer the T-Types were. It would be neat to know the breakdown numbers! THANKS!

Welcome to TurboBuick.com, the biggest & the best of all of the turbo Buick forums / sites anywhere. & welcome to the Darkside, too.

Welcome to the forum!! I recall seeing that car on CL also...it really looked nice. I'm only a little over an hour from you and also have an '86 T-type (white).

Welcome to the Darkside.... :cool:

The problem with a "keeper" is that is usually "keeps" your wallet open...;)

If you pop the trunk and look at the tag (ie: RPO codes) it will tell you what options the car came equipped with... there are many resources available here and gnttype.org for you to be able to "decode" your car... Also should check out Kirban Performance - Buick Grand National Parts, T-Type, Turbo T, GNX Parts, Chevrolet Chevy Corvette Parts, Ford Mustang Parts, Pontiac GTO Parts www.kirbanperformance.com ... He sells a few books that are quite informative..

Most everything you will want to know has probably been asked and answerd so use the search feature but also feel free to ask questions... We're all here to help each other.

When you have a few more posts you will be allowed to post pics... Please post pics as we are all love to see pics..

:biggrin:

It doesn't need much - It has a mouse(?) hole in the hood pad, cracked front turn signal lenses and some cracked weatherstriping. The A/C needs charging and the ever present rear main leak- that's it. Hopefully I can do a photo shoot tomorrow.

Finally did the photo shoot at my house last night. Here's a few-ok- more than a few! Enjoy!

Attachments

• 86 t type 001.jpg
    86 t type 001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 86 t type 004.jpg
    86 t type 004.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 86 t type 006.jpg
    86 t type 006.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 86 t type 008.jpg
    86 t type 008.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 86 t type 010.jpg
    86 t type 010.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 108
a few more- Almost ready for BPG- I painted the front headlight bezels last night-used the Krylon Satin black(tip from board member) and they look NOS. Recovering the headliner tomorrow- then just more detailing!

Attachments

• 86 t type 011.jpg
    86 t type 011.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 86 t type 012.jpg
    86 t type 012.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 86 t type 013.jpg
    86 t type 013.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 86 t type 014.jpg
    86 t type 014.jpg