Final Octane when mixing

I did one thing to get around the "mis-fueling" problem with the cashier. I bought a flex fuel emblem from GM and put it on the car. They never gave me trouble again. Doesnt look half bad either. :biggrin:

Guys,
Be VERY careful when using the chart in GNTTYPE. It is accurate for mixing 92octane GASOLINE with racing GASOLINE. On the other hand, we are mixing ETHANOL/gasoline blend with gasoline! They are NOT the same!!! Remember, it takes 30% more ethanol to provide the same British Thermal Units (BTU's) as a gallon of gasoline. Know what you are doing and be careful!

An engine is a terrible thing to waste!

Conrad

Agreed. In fact there are a couple of posts around here somewhere where all of that is explained. Mixing E-85 with race fuel is a no go as well. Any of the pretoleum based octane boosters ( including lead ) will not effect E-85. In fact when E-85 is mixed with these fuels it dilutes the mixture and can actually lower the octane rating of your race fuels. E-85 has great knock supression qualities itself. If your going to really run high boost, get some bigger injectors, run 100% E-85 and be done with it. I actually have 2 chips so I can switch if I want from 93 back to E-85 and so forth.

Remember E-85 or mixes thereof cannot be rated by the RON or MON methods. :cool:

Agreed. In fact there are a couple of posts around here somewhere where all of that is explained. Mixing E-85 with race fuel is a no go as well. Any of the pretoleum based octane boosters ( including lead ) will not effect E-85. In fact when E-85 is mixed with these fuels it dilutes the mixture and can actually lower the octane rating of your race fuels. E-85 has great knock supression qualities itself. If your going to really run high boost, get some bigger injectors, run 100% E-85 and be done with it. I actually have 2 chips so I can switch if I want from 93 back to E-85 and so forth.

Remember E-85 or mixes thereof cannot be rated by the RON or MON methods. :cool:

Duly noted.
I remember reading that thread.

This WHOLE thing started out like this;
I told my buddy: "Go add 3 gallons of E85 to your tank and lets see if your KR is octane related". (It was)
So I told him: "Keep the % of the mix about the same (25%) for this weekend driver, or we will need to re-tune".
Well, he is 73 yrs old and was asking me: "How many gallons of each (93 and E85) do I add when I get to the pump"?
So I did the spreadsheet thing, to print out the "breakdown", which now tells him "How much of each fuel" to add "each time at the pump" to keep the mix close on his safe tune.
I added the octane as this applies to other "Race gas mixes", since E-85 is technically a "flex fuel", not a "race gas" ;) .

Sure, no problem, I did a quick search and found this article for you:

Beginning of the Blender Pumps - Ethanol Producer Magazine

In order to use an ethanol blended fuel greater than 10%, your vehicle must be "flex-fuel" compatible, otherwise it's against the law to 'misfuel'.
I'm legal now...:D :D

FLEX<FUEL emblem http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/e85-technical-forum/261625-flex-fuel-emblem.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about this? Is it tacky, I kind of like it.
Attached Images

I did one thing to get around the "mis-fueling" problem with the cashier. I bought a flex fuel emblem from GM and put it on the car. They never gave me trouble again. Doesnt look half bad either. :biggrin:

why do you even have to deal with the cashier at all? Can't you just pay at the pump with a credit card or something and not even have to deal with anybody?

I'm legal now...:D :D

FLEX<FUEL emblem http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/e85-technical-forum/261625-flex-fuel-emblem.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think about this? Is it tacky, I kind of like it.
Attached Images

Yea....sure you are. I, for one, certainly do remember those E85 cars that Buick built in the 80's. It's a good thing you bought that replacement emblem and brought it back to it's original showroom condition. :biggrin: