Final goal 11.5 in the qtr. 26" or 28" slicks?

Addicted2boost

SUCK, SQUISH, BANG, BLOW
OK, I'm getting some widened GN wheels. I thought about putting my Nitto's on those and maybe running a 28 on my stock GN wheels. But with my final et, should I put wider but shorter 26's on the widened GN wheels or taller but narrower 28's on the stock GN wheels? I don't know what to do.

Either one will work with your combo. Heads and cam point to 26" tires but a 3500 stall converter points to 28" tall tires.

Either way, nittos probably have a tough time being consistant with your combo. If you want to run drag radials, 275/60's on the widened wheel will provide the most traction.

id say jump in between the hoosier quicktime pros 27/10:50/15's fit fine on a 7 inch wheel and hook like cleets.

they fit the cars real well too no cutting even if car is lowered

fast cars

An 11.5 ET in the quarter will mean about 115-118 mph in a GN, won't it? At those say, 118mph, in third gear, you're gonna be running a little over 5200 rpms on 26" tires, and 4800 or so with 28" tires. You wanna avoid having to shift the car into OD in the 1/4, that's for sure, but it seems like the 26" would still keep you in 3rd gear. But I've gotta agree with UNGN, the 28" tires will roll-out better, and probably get you a better 60' time. For a car with that kinda power, I would go with 28" tall drag slicks.

OK let's recap here
1 vote for 26"
1 vote for 27"
1 vote for 28"

You guys have good things to say but confusing the hell outta me. :D My car has always mph'd WELL over the et range. I'm looking to be in the middle. Heck, I've been in the 9.6 1/8th at 83 mph. Explain that? :confused: Also 8.7 1/8th at 81 mph :confused: I've never even thought about a 27" tire. Any that 10.5 fits on a stock GN wheel?

my buddys hoosiers are on 15 by 7 convo pros and the car has been lowered ...
they shouldnt have any problems on a factory rim .

i dont know exact rpm cause only has stock tack but we were running 116 mph passes all day friday and his motor is bone stock other than spring and it didnt fall over before the line and the converter was unlocked the whole pass because for some reason it wont work

BTW: boxed arms,poly bushings,and atr rear bar nothing else
car was going 1.60 to 1.65 60 ft's all day with stock d5

NO WHEEL SPIN

later....RED

I recomend the '28 tall tire. I run 28 * 9 and run 11.6, the taller tire will help with traction giving you more side wall.

One more vote for 28"

The night I hit 11's I had 4 runs to figure things out. I run 26x11.5 ET streets.

The first run was an 11.86 @ 117 (keep in mind the 60' times were poor all night) The 117 mph seemed to be the limit on my car for the 26" tires. Through the traps the car felt like it was still gaining speed. The next run was an 11.66@118 this time it felt like the car quit gaining speed about 1000'. The next run was an 11.52@119, the engine was screaming for a long time before the traps. The engine was out of the power range and quit gaining long before the end of the 1/4. The final run for the night I ran a 11.23@121 mph. This time when the engine felt like it laid down towards the end I shifted to overdrive and finished the last 300-400' in OD picking up speed. After these findings I'm going to switch to a 28" tire next year to keep the car out of overdrive.

I think with your ported heads and cam you could pull a 26" tire to 116-117 mph. After that you would run the engine out of its power range. But I still feel you would be better off with a 28"

I run about the same combo as you with a little bigger turbo. On a Mustang chassis Dyno (brand not the car) I made peak power at 5600 RPM after that it was all downhill. With your slightly smaller cam I would guess your peak would be around 5300-5500, pushing it for 117 mph on a 26" tire. If you locking the convertor you should be able to still run the good MPH on the shorter Nittos too. Then switch to the 28's for the track and lay down the big #'s. But the 28" tires would work better on the widened rims,(you could run a wider size) the Nittos should fit fine on the stock rims.

Either way will work, just try to stay below the peak power range of the enigine. The 26's will cut it close while the 28's will put you safely below.

Here is a nice link to do some math, the MPH always seems to be off though, http://www.prestage.com/carmath/calc_gears.asp

Just a little food for thought.