filling up gas

grandnash84

got a basic g body question here. everytime i fill up at a gas station i can never get handle of the nozzel to lock in place. i always have to hold the pump handle during fill-up. and i cant even hold it tight to make it pump fast, i have to barley lift the handle so it pumps really slow and i have to hold it in the same position so it dosent click off. this is getting really annoying. my friend had a g body before and he said if u fill up behind the license plate it always like that. can anyone give me a little light on this.

I've never had a problem with it not being able to pump into the tank fast.

However, the nozzle definately doesn't want to stay in place on its own, you have to hold onto it, which I don't have a problem with, because I don't want gas jizzing all over my car anyhow.

BTW, I've had two MCSS's, one Cutlass, & now a GN, they all were like this.

got a basic g body question here. everytime i fill up at a gas station i can never get handle of the nozzel to lock in place. i always have to hold the pump handle during fill-up. and i cant even hold it tight to make it pump fast, i have to barley lift the handle so it pumps really slow and i have to hold it in the same position so it dosent click off. this is getting really annoying. my friend had a g body before and he said if u fill up behind the license plate it always like that. can anyone give me a little light on this.

I have the exact same problem. Problem is still there even after a new gas tank several years ago. I gave up and just fill it up slowly-mostly holding the pump handle manually. I did finally get rid of the stupid license plate bracket and got a stay down version. Brad

I have trouble with mine too. The fuel comes back through the little vent holes if I pump to fast. Annoying but not worth to much fuss in my book.

i just kind of put the nozzle in at an angle and it never clicks off until it's full.
i also have a stay down license plate frame from a Caprice- i had problems with the nozzle coming out of the filler with the stock frame.

i just kind of put the nozzle in at an angle and it never clicks off until it's full.
i also have a stay down license plate frame from a Caprice- i had problems with the nozzle coming out of the filler with the stock frame.

If you have the stock frame, it has a spot for the gas cap, on the right side, to hold the frame open.

do u have ur fuel canister plugged in, is it working, cause it will not vent the tank and it will pressurize ur tank, making slower fill up times.

Don't worry, fellas, when regular gas reaches $5.00 a gallone by 2012, this will be the LEAST of your problem. Wonder why the empty suit in the White House is not doing anything about it.

FWIW, I never leave the gas nozzle unattended.....there's always the possibility of it coming out of the filler tube and shooting gas all over the place.....I always hold it by hand, and don't care how fast it fills, until it's full. Don't want to take any chances.....ask me how I know this.

Bruce '87 Grand National

No issues with my TType.
I use the gas cap on the right side of the plate to hold it down.

Many places remove the ratchet catch assembly to force you to hold the handle in the on position. I use a velcro strap to wrap arround the handle to hold it on while I clean the windshield. If it falls out (never had it happen) it'll automatically shut off & the velcro strap is long enough to allow a quick tug to free it.

Is your car stock and still has the charcoal cannister? Or did someone remove it and plugged it?

My problem has never been how fast the gas goes in, it's always been how fast it seems to go OUT. I've heard these cars get pretty good gas mileage if driven with some sense, guess I never tried that!