Fiberglass hood spring- where to get?

kirban 2 cents worth

this issue we addressed years ago when we made the first fiberglass hoods. the easy method is don;t mount the spring on the hood instead mount it on the core support look at the small half moon area and I believe I recommended cutting down the original spring and simply slip it under the half moon lip on the core support. presto nothing else needed.

My description may not be accurate but you will clearly see somewhere on your core support not the hood this half moon area simply pry it slightly and loop the spring into it.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I will have to look at mine, but I think this is what I did (it was Long ago). I know I cut the stock spring.
That Jeep spring looks like a great idea !

I am just glad to have found a great solution for this spring. Hartline should stock these and offer them to the people buying new hoods. Easy add on sale for them.

I agree. I will try and get some ordered before the tb.com event. We are bringing 10 hoods and 10 bumpers to that event.

I have mounted it on the rad support before, after cutting a few coils off. But, with an aluminum rad support I wanted something a bit cleaner.

I agree. I will try and get some ordered before the tb.com event. We are bringing 10 hoods and 10 bumpers to that event.
That's awesome! It seems after searching this topic and even after talking to Holly there you must face this question a lot. Makes sense to sell them the spring too. And lift supports as long as you are at it! Why not sell them everything they need?
Your hoods are top notch too by the way. Even my painter just kept raving about the quality of the hood.

Ace Hardware's are a dying breed unfortunately. Closest one to me is having a going out of business sale. I'll see I can swing in though.
HI , could I ask how you like your Hartline hood ? I am just checking before I buy , you don t have to use hood pins do you ? Thank you

Love it. No you don't have to use pins for normal use. It retains the stock latch and safety catch. All out racecars may opt for them. 80 mph down the interstate it doesn't even move as much as my old cars steel hood did.
Very high quality piece. Even the body guy who I had painted raved about how nice it was. I'm sure he has seen lots of low quality fiberglass and has to prep them a lot before finishing.

Ace Hardware's are a dying breed unfortunately. Closest one to me is having a going out of business sale. I'll see I can swing in though.
HI , could I ask how you like your Hartline hood ? I am just checking before I buy , you don t have to use hood pins do you ? Thank you
Love it. No you don't have to use pins for normal use. It retains the stock latch and safety catch. All out racecars may opt for them. 80 mph down the interstate it doesn't even move as much as my old cars steel hood did.
Very high quality piece. Even the body guy who I had painted raved about how nice it was. I'm sure he has seen lots of low quality fiberglass and has to prep them a lot before finishing.
Thank you , for the input , seems to be the way to go , my hood is cracked so I ve been researching it , thanks again

No problem. I have yet to see a single complaint on these hoods. Anywhere.
This spring is the way to go too. Works perfectly.

G body Cutlasses, the Calais models came with aluminum hoods. Those springs were less tension and worked on a fiberglass hood I had on a car a long time ago. Might be hard to find them at this point though

Thanks VtheGNMan! We've sold a ton of them and I can't think of any complaints.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

No problem. I have yet to see a single complaint on these hoods. Anywhere.
This spring is the way to go too. Works perfectly.
Thank you again , I am in Canada , but went and picked up the Hartline hood in Buffalo , very happy with it

No problem at all! Their quality speaks for itself. That spring I found recommended has help up great too with 6 months usage. Can't see any reason that it won't keep working fine with continued use either.

nice job on that spring !!
Here's a picture of the spring mounted. The spring has a little tab on the back side that probably fits into a slot on the Jeep it's made for. I needed it sit flat so I ground that off. I put a double sided 3M emblem tape on the back too as there is only 1 mounting screw and I wanted to eliminate the possibility of it twisting off center. I lined up the pad of the spring to sit into the dish on the radiator mounting plate too.

Sits great in the pocket, compresses nicely, latches easily and still has a good "pop" to it when you pull the hood release.

I rolled the proverbial $9 dice and bought a Jeep Wrangler hood pop up spring off fleabay that looked promising. While I don't get my Hartline Hood back from paint for at least a couple more days I think this spring shows real promise. Almost just as tall, quite a bit easier to compress and even has a built in mounting tab and contact pad. Picture with both springs shows the Jeep Spring in comparison to the stock spring at the top.
It was part #55176732AD

Once I get my hood back and mounted I will update the thread again with the results if this is a good spring or not.
Hey Vin , I see you have the 36mm front sway bar ? did you buy the bushings from Kirbans and use your factory "clamps " ( that bolt into the frame ? is that all you need to install it ?

Hey Vin , I see you have the 36mm front sway bar ? did you buy the bushings from Kirbans and use your factory "clamps " ( that bolt into the frame ? is that all you need to install it ?
Yeah, I'll you need is the bushings with the 36 mm opening. The clamps are the same or you can use the same.

Stock spring cut down to 5 coils, bend end of spring over to where its running through the middle of spring, slide the end of spring under one side of the raised side of the half moon lip on core support where the spring used the sit and it works perfect.