Fiberglass front bumper install ?

84turbo6

i got my bumper today from Danko and it looks like it's been through some crap or was handled very poorly but besides that, it never accured to me, do I have to use the stock aluminum bumper support? It doesn't look like I do but the mounting places are in the shape of the support, do I mount it without the support? Or does it matter

you cant reuse the inner shell (whether its alum or steel)
drill the holes out in the danko where the original slots are , from your old bumper assembly remove the dog bone stud assembly and install onto the fiberglass bumper , now slide the bumper onto the strut reusing the original nuts , adjust for fit and shim if needed as the original was .
the lamps you may find the pass side doesn't go in fully and might need to remove the dog bone and use nuts and bolts or heat the back of the lamp housing and push it in to get it to sit flush , then drill a hole for the lamp and install a clip nut
then install the lamp and bezel and you'll probably find the bezels stick out past the bumper ,either live with it run without the bezel or what i do is i cut off what sticks out (they are aluminum),smoothed the edges and repainted and they looked fine
you could also remove the struts from the frame ends and install the lightweight aluminum struts and shed some more weight.

as for the old aluminum bumper support , they sell pretty easily and you can almost recoup the cost of the fiberglass just selling the support.

Last edited:
Paul. I bought a Danko front bumper a few years ago and I swear that I'll never buy anything from them again! It just does not fit right, especially the parking lamps! :yuck: You shouldn't have to cut, grind, fit anything, it should bolt right on and this Danko piece of :poop: is all the opposite. :mad:I eventually sold it.

Sorry for the rant but I had to tell my experience to the initial poster (84turbo6)...

Claude. ;)

I bought a danko few yrs back, used alum supports (aftermarket) bolted right on, NO issues at all!
turn signals didn't fit the best, but worked fine,

Paul. I bought a Danko front bumper a few years ago and I swear that I'll never buy anything from them again! It just does not fit right, especially the parking lamps! :yuck: You shouldn't have to cut, grind, fit anything, it should bolt right on and this Danko piece of :poop: is all the opposite. :mad:I eventually sold it.

Sorry for the rant but I had to tell my experience to the initial poster (84turbo6)...

Claude. ;)

You are absolutely right, Claude....I couldn't agree with you more.....Danko is junk, always have been.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I bought a danko few yrs back, used alum supports (aftermarket) bolted right on, NO issues at all!
turn signals didn't fit the best, but worked fine,

Guess I was wrong a little.....for some they do work....didn't know that. No flames, please. Glad it worked for you.

Bruce '87 Grand National

The bumper I got, the lights fit fine, it seems to line up correctly, the only reason I am asking is because my original front bumper got bent pretty bad both the shell and support, so I was asking if you could just bolt the fiberglass directly to the car using the two push bars? I'm not to shure what they are called sorry. This will be until I can afford a complete bumper. Just bought a accumulator for the brakes:/

technical name according to parts catalog is " Absorber,energy " and it bolts right to it