Fiberglass bumpers?

TRBON8R

For whatever reason the factory paint on my rear bumper is starting to peel, and my front bumper is starting to look a bit weather beaten from rock chips. Both bumpers need a repaint. I'm looking to save a little weight so I'm considering just buying new fiberglass bumpers for both front and rear to save a little weight while I'm at it.

The problem is, my car is exposed to a lot of parallel parking situations. I'm afraid that one little tap from some soccer mom in her Suburban and the fiberglass will crack all to hell faster than Bob Hope falling down a flight of stairs. Is the fiberglass a bad idea for a street car? Would I be better off with the steel bumpers with aluminum brackets?

glass

Having myself hit a telephone pole head on and living , iwould say no that on a street car that may not be such a great idea. I mean if you saved 100lbs that would equal like 10-20 RWHP . for the $400 the bumpers cost you could get them painted for $100 and save the other $300 towards a speed part,or can of race gas.;)

I agree somewhat. I had the aluminum reinforcements and still lost like 90 lbs. doing both front and rears with aluminum brackets. Would I do iit again? Maybe! I had chrome painted bumpers which looked like ass with the chipping going on. I was never a fan of the bumperettes or high maintenance impact strips. I like the smooth bumper look but fitting them can be a little pain. The Kirban unit is pretty beefy. It will take a light hit but then again any of them will have some degree of damage. I don't have the situation you are in so for me they may be okay. Do some research first.

I am in a little bit of the same boat, my front bumper was rusted out and instead of paying $300 for a new steel one I paid $150 for the fiberglass one (WOW .....lighter!!!) Yes one little bump and it is cracked. My only problem is I wanted to included the renforcement with it but it will not fit right. It just feels to flimsy if I bolt the bumper on alone. So don't know what I am going to do yet.