fender vents

three turbos

NUNLKME
Was just curiouse if any of you gnx owners realy feel that your vents realy rid the hot air in the engine bay?I realize that was there function from the factory,but say you had your fan on hood down has anyone actualy put there hand by the vents to see if air realy is moveing through?Or does the car actualy have to be moveing at drive speeds to make them function?Maybe someone has put there hand by them after a drive,can you feel heat radiating from them just sitting there not running?I ask because im tossing the idea around on installing them on my car, however if Im going to go that route I would like to know some real life results on there functioning ability and not just there appearance thanks,Eric:)

hello people: I'd like to know the answer on this one. There are a few people here that have them on there cars that are not GNX's maybe they could tell us. I never thought of the vent working as the car moves. Maybe it forms a swirling effect to get rid of the heat but how do you know if it works? I think it's just an hole and styled for apperance.
IBBY

hello people: I'd like to know the answer on this one. There are a few people here that have them on there cars that are not GNX's maybe they could tell us. I never thought of the vent working as the car moves. Maybe it forms a swirling effect to get rid of the heat but how do you know if it works? I think it's just an hole and styled for apperance.
IBBY

and to add the old Buicks had 3 and 4 holes(I call them) in the same area and I don't think to much engineering went into them. They did fuction as a way to let the heat out but if it was moving or not that was it.

The older portholes were cosmetic and did not function to remove heat from the engine compartment. If you want to reduce the underhood temperature just remove the cowl seal. This will remove more heat than the vents. The vents DO exhaust heat.

hello people: Well I guess I was wrong about the old port holes on Buicks but it seems to me that they might have started out as a function then changed to cosmetic. I'm no expert. But I have a co-worker who got a new Buick a few years ago and he had the fake port holes installed at the dealer. I seen them and they look good but I don't think they cut thru the fender or anything.
IBBY

I'll be surprised if anybody has thought enough about this to bother trying to measure it.

If I were you I would not cut holes in my fenders even if the vents do turn out to extract some heat.

Yes the vents do work ...in the idle condition and with the fan on it is easily observed....I was actually impressed the first time I experienced the amount of air moving out of the vents. This is with all the production parts installed with the fender vents.

Ventiports

Someone did a post on the flow of air thru the engine compartment some time back. In that post it indicated that the engineers designed the system for proper ventilation/cooling and recommended that the cowl seal ("hood ledge lace") not be removed as it altered the designed effect. As I recall it included the impact of the ventiports ("portholes"). I would recommend that you search for that post as it was very informative.

fendrer vents

Thanks for the info. not to be a pain but how do i go about looking for that post?I have never done that before?:smile:

Click on search on the site tool bar (just over the advertisement above) and under that click on advance search. The problem arises on what words you want to search and which or all forums you search. I spent about 15 minutes looking (only in the tech section) and all I found was a comment on the function of the air dams.

I blew a rad hose at high speed (and a little bit more) one time. It looked like smoke coming out the vents, so I'd say, from direct observation, yes the vents work.

Having owned both cars (GN & GNX) I can tell you hat the vents work very well. You can put your hand to the side and feel the heat coming out. Heat that helps kill the GN.
The vents went way through from the outside to the inside of the engine compartment. The things that were against the fenderwell (on the GN) were "redirected" on the GNX so that the air flow would not be obstructed.

On my other Gn I had installed these vents....they were strictly for looks.....I am getting ready to paint the GN I have now and I want to install the vents again.

What is needed to make them functional on a regular fender from the inside? Are there area's you need to cut to open? Does anyone have a pic of the inside of a GNX engine compartment that show how it was done?

vents

Go to cars for sale and look for the gnx tribute for sale,its a clone but some excellent picts. of the engine bay showing the inner holes needed.If you cannot find it shoot me a pm and i will send some picts. of mine i just did came out real nice.Gbody parts has everything you need to this ask to speak to Brian he is the man!!:cool:

Someone did a post on the flow of air thru the engine compartment some time back. In that post it indicated that the engineers designed the system for proper ventilation/cooling and recommended that the cowl seal ("hood ledge lace") not be removed as it altered the designed effect. As I recall it included the impact of the ventiports ("portholes"). I would recommend that you search for that post as it was very informative.

That is correct the cowl seal should stay in place, because during driving speeds that area will be under high pressure from the windshield and PUSH into the engine compartment against the designed flow.