Fellow GN/TR Owner at the local hangout calls me a liar

Buicksx3

Sure it leaks oil--so?
Guys,

Just had to relate something that happened at the car hangout on Saturday morning....I sometimes take my GN to a HB CA car hangout. When I do, I clip a small writeup to the radiator core support outlining the various fuel system/turbo/intercooler upgrades and suspension work I've done to attain low 11s on a high mileage stock motor (I also have a framed timeslip and a small photo off to the side of a nice DS wheel up launch.) Most reactions are one of curiosity and a general thumbs up. A number of folks on this board have acheived the same or much better results than I have, and have taken different approaches to get there. I consider myself one of the lucky ones, as my engine could have let go many times over, but it hasn't.

At any rate, it began to rain and the hangout began to break up. I had just finished shutting the hood when I was approached by a stocky gentleman in his early 60's, salt & pepper hair, & thick glasses. Without so much as a "Good Morning!", he asked if I had been involved in the local GN club. I replied yes, for several years in fact, up until a couple of years ago when I stopped (this coincided with the birth of my first kid, so priorities change.) He then asked if I'd really gone low 11's as my little blurb said I had. "Mm hmm", as I nodded.

"That's b***sh!t, and you're a G.D. liar. My GN has only gone 12.59 (he did not give the MPH) and and it is stock. You can't go low 11's on a stock motor...man, I would love to race you sometime!" I was stunned. Plus, the tone of his voice was downright hostile, making me wonder briefly if he was liquored up. "I'm sorry you feel that way, sir, but that sounds fine to me," and he kept glaring at me. Being polite to him seemed to tick him off even more. I could see that asking him questions like how often did he race, what his MPH was and so on wasn't going to help the situation at all. In fact, I'd been prepared to offer any help if he'd asked. Instead, this gentleman continued his tirade about how I was a liar, and that he couldn't wait for a chance to race me, etc., etc. As I got into the car I looked him in the eye and said calmly, "Sir, I will be looking forward to the opportunity," shut the door, and drove off.

Man, what happened to going fast with class, or us GN/TR guys sticking together? As you might imagine, this put a bit of a damper on my morning.

Thanks for letting me vent, guys.
Morgan

Bizarre!

Thumbs-Up for the way you handled that situation!

What a whack-job dipzoid mutant crank that was!

Sounds much more like some Peugeot aficionado on Crystal Meth!

:eek: :) :eek:

Melissa's car is only mid 11s @ 118 in street trim ...BUT she get's the same crap...no one believes its a stock motor...life goes on :p

I think for the most part Buick/TR/TTA guys are cool. But, you are always going to find a bad apply in every bunch.

We need to take away his Buick priviliges. Someone like that doesn't deserve a Turbo Buick. Sounds more like a ricer.

Dan,

That car doesn't run 11s on a stock motor!!! I think your lying!!!

Just kidding Dan. :)

I agree for the most part, people with these cars do have class. Granted, I've caught a few people lying about they're mods but ya don't need to be rude about it.

Ran into a guy a few years ago that was street racing his GN... asked him who's front mount IC he had... guy said it wasn't a front mount.. his radiator was painted silver! RIGHT!!!! Lemme guess, also ran the radiator hoses under the core support. But you're right.. still conduct yourself with some class folks.

Way to go, made him look like an a$$ without having to be one yourself.
I'd bet that he hasn't been able to do what you have and has been telling everyone that it can't be done (since he hasn't). Someone ELSE probably saw yours and called him on it making him look like an idiot. I think that's why he was so offensive---trying to save face. What a moron.

I'm guessing he is confused by what you meant by "stock motor".

Some people aren't very good readers. He overlooked the fact you had upgraded turbo, injectors, intercooler.

Maybe one of his friends isn't a good reader, and came up to him and said "That guy over there says his GN can run low 11's and its All STOCK!".

You can see where the guys "BS!" reaction would come from.

Originally posted by Buicksx3
Instead, this gentleman continued his tirade about how I was a liar, and that he couldn't wait for a chance to race me, etc., etc.

Tell him to make sure he brings his title when he comes to race. :D

- Freed

Do what Clint Eastwood would do....Glare into his eyes with a mean look, and in that low calm voice say " you can only muster 12's on a stock engine? well son, I think you need to go back to the drawing board" Thn get into your car and drive off into the sunset.

Oh yea, Clint woulda prolly shot him too, but you might wanna skip that part.:D

oh that was you the other morning sorry ;)

J/K you handled it just fine, and BTW i hope ya Woop his azz

What Jesse said......

Us old'uns grew up using the word "stock" to denote, "As it came from the factory." To the old guy's way of thinking you WERE lying.

People now even say "bone stock" (words which took over from stock since stock no longer was true) and STILL have aftermarket additions on the car.

Dunno what word will be used next to suggest "as it came from the factory."

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
What Jesse said......

Us old'uns grew up using the word "stock" to denote, "As it came from the factory." To the old guy's way of thinking you WERE lying.

People now even say "bone stock" (words which took over from stock since stock no longer was true) and STILL have aftermarket additions on the car.

Dunno what word will be used next to suggest "as it came from the factory."

I think that mindset came from Racing.

Whenever could someone walk into a dealership and buy a rear-wheel drive Taurus with a large carbureted V8? Oh, wait, that's just a Stock Car, not a Stock Car.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At least they have "Stock Appearing" categories now in Drag Racing in some areas. I think that's a little more accurate.

- Freed

I don't know..........calling BS on someone does not have to be confrontational. If he had doubts with your honesty, he could have been a little more tactful......err...a lot more tactful.

Or, you could have just punched him in the solar plexes and been done with it.:D

this old guy should of got some advise(of how his car can go faster) instead of an atittude, i think you pissed him off not arguing with him, well at least you carried yourself in a better manner than him & handled the situation well. :)

Morgan,
Be careful. He may have been trying to sucker you. If and when you do see him again he may attempt to get you to put up some money when you race at which time you will find his car is quite a bit faster than he stated:eek:

I say when you see him again you make him an offer. Ask him to meet you at the track and make it a gentleman's race.......even though there will only be one gentleman;)

Originally posted by ChrisCairns

Well... if that's his definition, the old guy was also lying when he said his car ran 12.59

Cute, Morgan... Who do you think you're kidding? I've seen you in action with your "Who, me?" way of picking fights. Every G-D time the club would get together, you'd start trouble! Meek and mild Morgan, HAH!!! First it's "My car's faster than yours." Then, "I've got more kids than you." Next thing you know, it's clobberin' time!

Seriously...you hadn't seen this guy around before? Invite him to the next El Torito extravaganza...then don't show up. Heh-heh-heh. Talk about payback! :D