Feel kinda bad about this one, but man he was a PUNK!

D

dconnor

I feel kinda bad about this kill (well not really) but he was begging for it....

Heading to work tonight I pulled into a local Stop & Go for some caffienated refreshment and lo & behold there was a late teens-ish kid (with posse in tow) at the gas pump filling up a VERY clean looking '87 GN. I walked over to introduce myself & to let him know about the local Buick club.

As I got close I heard slacker posse kid #1 make some Found On Road Dead comments (I was in my '01 Lightning) and the driver very clearly sighed & rolled his eyes as I extended my hand and asked about the GN. I let him know I was "in the club" too so to speak ('87 Turbo-T) and that I thought his car was very nice looking, had anything been done under the hood? This garnered a loudly whispered "Must be a POS if he's driving that Ford turd instead of a BUICK" from slaker posse member #2 and a s****** from the driver. The conversation went downhill from there:

"Yeah it's a fully built stage 3 from Connoly (Lawrence Conley is the local Buick guru AND a good friend of mine) with a T68 turbo, custom roller cam and special billet injection sysetm. My dad says it'll run 10's easy..."

So this is your Dad's car?

"No he bought it for me for graduation, but I had all of the modzz done by Connoly. So is that your Lightning?"

Yeah, it's my beater. The Buick is the fun car.

"Oh, thats too bad we could have raced maybe, I would beat that truck too bad to bother tho. I raced one last night, a blue one & beat him by at least 20 links"

Yeah too bad... Oh well see ya around at a club meeting sometime, it's a great way to hook up with other Buick nuts.

"Nah man Buicks aren't my thing, I'm just driving this through college & will probably just junk it. It's already too old anyways."

This was a PRISTINE car with a very nice paint job, ultra clean interior and nice set of GNX style wheels!!! Ok enough is enough, so I bid them good night & as I headed back to my truck heard the genious of a driver comment to his posse of slacker poster boys in a BAD stage whisper:

"Yeah those trucks are kinda cool for a Ford, but I bet he was LYING about owning a Buick & was kissing up to avoid trying to race me"

I just had to shake my head at the absolute idiocy these kids were displaying & got in my truck to head to work.

As luck would have it the moron crew (in a car he doesn't even come close to deserving) pulled up next to me at a light on the feeder about 1/2 mile own the road. He sent one too many haughty looks my way & traffic was scarce, so I rolled down the window & asked if he was SURE he didn't wanna bother racing my truck. He sneered a bit & consulted with his posse a bit before saying, "Sure but don't get embarrassed too bad when I beat you by 10 like that other Lightning."

The cross light was going yellow about this time, so I brought the truck up against the converter & listened for the GN to start spooling. Curiously, he must have left it idling because I never did hear that oh-so-familiar whistle... then our light flashed green & I rolled down on the go-pedal HARD. By the time I crossed under the traffic light I was out a solid 2 cars & GN boy was finally making his move. By ~60mph I was out by 4 cars & stayed there through 100 when I let off & the spoiled brat goes for a full on ricer-esque flyby then turns off as soon as he can. Too bad such a nice car is owned by such a punk, it must have had some nice basic mods to keep the gap at 4 once he finally got it rolling. My truck is definately not the fastest around, but isn't a slouch either at 12.9x@104~105. I'm not going to hold my breath about seeing him at a Buick club meeting, but I sure would like to see that car in someones hands who will actually appreciate it!!!

Doug C.

That is a shame, stupid punk kid gets a sweet car from daddy and doesn't even know it's sweet.. sigh.

I tell you one thing, if my dad gave me an 87 GN as a grad present back in the day, I would have been very very stoked. Heck, I'm stoked just to have him helping around on the 85 wh1. :)

That really sucks. Im 20 and have worked now for three years just to afford my GN. Yea sure, the rich kids around make fun and ask why i would even bother with an old "regal with 15" chrome rims", but i dont care it is the best thing that has ever happened to me and i am proud to drive it anywhere and anytime!!!! its just irritating that people like that dont realize how lucky they are.......

Maybe with that sort of thrashing, out of embarassment he sold his 'slow car' and bought a Mustang or something that would teach you a lesson next time you lined up!

Truly sad....

It's kind of dishartening, but look on the bright side, you 'll probably be able to pick it up cheap when he wants to unload it!

Pete
(new here, but not really, been reading posts for a long time!)

I'm willing to bet that it wasn't his car. Daddy probably was outta town and he snagged the keys to try and show off to his punk ass friends.

Keep an eye out for that car. I'm sure you'll find Dad driving it and you can tell him what a punk his son is. :D :D

Morals...

This was actually the best kill story I have read in awhile. Yes I ahte seeing a GN get beat but when it is in hands of some1 my age(17) I'd be glad to yank them outta the car! If only the knew what they had :( I work my ass off jsut to own my Ford Probe GT's....if I only had a gn *sigh*

that is a dam shame!! My old man hunted down my first car which i paid $500 for Its my 1978 Buick Sport Coupe. I was brought up on GM cars since my dad works for em:D . So when he said he found this one i was like hell yeah. I didnt know the history then, at 16 in 1996. But it was in REAL good shape.it was his second cousins moms car. So it was an "old lady" car with 67,000 orig miles on it in Awesome shape in and out. We rebuilt the turbo and cleaned her up a bit and a couple weeks later at school this guy offered me 3000 for it.:rolleyes: I thought.....ummmm NO. Im gonna look for some pics of when I first bought it man it was sweet!! I had an accident about 1.5 years after i got it. not TOO bad but the pass side 1/4 and the front are different colors and she just never ran the same since. Still got it parked out behind my dads house in Toledo. Evey time I visit them I go out and start it up. NO Muffs so it sounds pretty cool and we ran the exhaust out in front of the passenger side rear tire and I bought the dual outlet chrome tip to put on it:D . SO, when time and money permit she'll get some TLC for sure!!!

stupid cocky kids thse days... if only you would have known that your lightning was faster. I'm not a fan of it at all, but someone like that you should have raced him for the title, as cocky as he was i bet he would have went for it. give that car to someone who would appreciate it, like me!

what a shame. im 18 and have owned 3 TRs to date. i would never even THINK of junking one of these cars, even if it was a total rust bucket w/ a cracked block and two blown head gaskets.

i run into punks like this every now and than, we actually had a guy that distryoed a PERFECT condition 87 T limited, that light blue color, landau top chrome trim. he hit a fence while doing a doughnut and than blew the motor a few months later. bought the car from a guy in my buick clubs younger brother.

when im rich, im gonna go around and buy up all mistreated GNs and TRs and restore them :)

This little sh#$%t heel was probably raised driving a wheel dragger, (fwd). So lets hope he doesnt sling it around on a wet day. Or dry for that matter!
Alot of kids around here have big time wrecks driving sport flukes. They loose it in turns.

Kinda makes me think twice about giving my son, who's only two right now my mint GN. I wonder 15 years from now, how many of these cars will be in the school parking lot. Good kill though.

Shame Shame

I am 21, and have been restoring my Buick since September of 2000. I am going slowly with it, and making sure I got a stong low 12 sec car, without blowing anything up. A kid I used to go to school with, was given $20,000 from daddy, and he chose to build a 72 Nova. He stayed home and went to the county college, and daddy kept sinking money into this 4000 lb beast, while school boy got a hot rod. He boasted near 400 hp, and a $4600 paint job. Well, long story short, he compared my car (not running) to his beautiful work of daddy art, and told me how his car will always beat the Buick, and that his didnt sit for two years and slowy come together. (knocking the fact that my daddy doesnt pay for my car)- anyway, his car has yet to break 13.3, and when I drove my car to his house for the first time, his jaw hit the floor. The next day he went to Pep Boys and bought a pair of slicks for his Nova, and wanted to race me. I declined, being that my car was just put on the road, and I am in no way ready to race. He sneered saying I was scared, and that my car doesnt have 12 sec capabilities, and then drove his Nova down the street. I meet him on the local highway and told him I wanted to open it up, but not too much. I got ont he break and gas, let the boost go up to almost 5, and launched. He kept up for about 3 sec, but as soon as I hit second, he disappeared. He went home that night, and put the nova away, and the next day, bouth a Mustang GT. To this day, I wont race him. I hate richies.

John

You know I don't really post alot but I do keep up with the board regularly. I simply had to comment on this one however. Iwas at a car show (read import knucklehead show) a couple of years ago and had the misfortune of seeing an 87 GN that had been turned into a hydro car. The kids father worked for a local loan agency and had repod it a few months earlier. Well needless to say during the course of his show of stupidity the kid bounced the car until the frame bent and the block cracked, much to the delight of the rest of the moronic little kids Whos soon raised a chant of burn it up!! Which means burn the batteries and basically destroy the ride. Afterwards I talked with the kid about his plans to repair the car at which point he told me it was no big deal he would just remove the pumps and batteries and build a new car besides Regals are a dime a dozen he said :mad: It makes the blood boil to see any car detroyed this way much less a GN. Oh well maybe the kid is burning in hell for his mistakes now.

now now

Come on guys, lets not get too harsh. I was just hoping for a four flats on the turnpike around 4:30 pm. I think that would do him some good with those hydro pumps! If anyone re-poed a GN and gave it to their kid, they should be beaten and punnished again and again. Lord knows, when I have a kid, he can pay for his own car and I will gladly help fix it up, but there is no way he's getting a GN that I find!

John

:mad: That pisses me off something fierce. I've been working for over a year and a half at my little crap job, plus turning around retired fleet vehicles on the side, and I'm about to start college... and I'm barely halfway to owning a decent GN. Daddy buys his kid a car that he can't even appreciate? Oooh, that hits my funny bone like you wouldn't believe. :mad: :mad: