Fed Up!

WUTSAV8

I took my 86 GN out for a spin today, and the trans started to act up again. But this time I paid more attention to what exactly happens and when.

Here's what I noticed:

1- Light Throttle 2-3 Shift is very weak, almost to the point of being non existent. 1-2 is pretty good. But if you give it more than 1/2+ throttle, the 2-3 shift becomes quite firmer again.

2- Won't go into 3rd randomly. Usually I've noticed it happens when the trans gets hot. I'll be driving along and 2nd will wind up forever and it will not go into 3rd at all. I'll usually try to alternate from D to OD and vice versa, but the only way it "goes away" is when I slow down to a stop and sometimes it will downshift into 1st. Otherwise it's still in 2nd. It was also the first major problem I had with the trans, no 2-3 at WOT.

3- No 3-4 shift unless I let off of the throttle in OD, no matter how light the pedal is being pressed. As soon as I let up, the trans will upshift. Sometimes it acts up in conjunction with problem #2 and wont let me get ito 4th completely unless I vary the shifter position and slow down enough.

This is all intermittent as well. Some days it will shift quite normally and some days it will have a mind of it's own.

What do you gurus think?

Well...

The easiest way is to ck it with an infrared gun. If you know somebody with one it is much easier to do ($ wise) The other is to install a gauge but then you have to purchase one. As for pressure you can either borrow a gauge or buy one from us to test. They are not that expensive and in another post someone was saying they used it once but it was the best thing they ever bought. Maybe he is done and you can buy from him.
1971OLDS

Price I can't say. I paid $80 for a pressure guage I probably will only use once. But it turned out to be the best investment I've done so far with my car. It cleared up a huge problem and is keeping my trans guy honest. Would really put a wrinkle in his parade.

Take Care and good luck.

So try that..

Bruce
We4
www.PTSnctb.com