Fastest stock block?

gibby

Sorry in advance, the search is timing out and I am not sure which would be the right section for this.

What is the fastest stock block LD5/LC6 pass? The 3800 SII/III guys want to know.

We are at a 9.364@148.73 with a twin turbo setup in a Grand Prix :tongue:

Dave Bamford. 9.23@147.29mph weighing 3550lbs. This is a TSM legal car with a single 70 GTQ.

gibby said:
Sorry in advance, the search is timing out and I am not sure which would be the right section for this.

What is the fastest stock block LD5/LC6 pass? The 3800 SII/III guys want to know.

We are at a 9.364@148.73 with a twin turbo setup in a Grand Prix :tongue:

You guys need to step it up a little to take down Bamford. What's the car weigh?

Good thread... good timing......

What mods are required to run a Series 2 or series 3 3800 in a RWD car? I assume you have to run some sort of bellhousing adaptor to mate to the RWD tranny.....

Isn't the deck height shorter?

Isn't the coolant flow such that our 8445 heads are incompatible?

If the heads are incompatible, do the S2 or S3 heads (stock iron) have a higher potential to make more hp?

What makes these blocks more or less capable than a modded 109 block?

Not sure on the car's weight, we have a couple in the 9's and its a little hard to beat specifics out of them since some are competing vendors.

I don't think the heads are anywhere near the same, but we do have a vendor just finishing up some full aftermarket cast aluminum heads :eek: so that should be a pretty big development.

As for stepping it up, we are pretty limited being FWD still, record 60' is a 1.4x . We are working on it though, you guys do have a pretty big head start ;)

gibby said:
Not sure on the car's weight, we have a couple in the 9's and its a little hard to beat specifics out of them since some are competing vendors.

I don't think the heads are anywhere near the same, but we do have a vendor just finishing up some full aftermarket cast aluminum heads :eek: so that should be a pretty big development.

As for stepping it up, we are pretty limited being FWD still, record 60' is a 1.4x . We are working on it though, you guys do have a pretty big head start ;)
We have a head start but were dealing with 60's tech on the block design :tongue:. Take a look at an old buick v-6 side by side with a new series II or III. You will see that the bottom end of the old engines we run have nothing there to support any kind of hp. Im amazed guys are getting 140mph out of them in full weight flying brick regals. I wish i had the new tech block in my GN's. I wouldnt be afraid of blowing out bottom ends or breaking cranks. You guys simply never really had that fear or experience since the new ones take a lot more before they crack the main webbing. In the new ones a set of forged pistons and good rods will take you to crazy power levels with little fear of breakage. The one you posted still had a stock bottom end except pistons! Thats bad ass. Good luck. :cool:

Blazer406 said:
Good thread... good timing......

What mods are required to run a Series 2 or series 3 3800 in a RWD car? I assume you have to run some sort of bellhousing adaptor to mate to the RWD tranny.....

Isn't the deck height shorter?

Isn't the coolant flow such that our 8445 heads are incompatible?

If the heads are incompatible, do the S2 or S3 heads (stock iron) have a higher potential to make more hp?

What makes these blocks more or less capable than a modded 109 block?
I think the only part we share with the new ones is the rod bearings :eek: .
Nothing else is the same including deck height, spacing, and any other dimension you could imagine except for the bore and stroke. The mounts and accessory brackets would have to be fabricated as well as a set of turbo manifolds. The intake would probably be a fab'd sheetmetal one too. There are RWD ones in the f-bodies in the mid to late nineties. Would be nice to have the gerotor oil pump but the stage II is probably still more cost effective. Maybe not for long though.

gibby said:
I am pretty sure it is still stock pistons, just an L36 block instead of an L67 (NA instead of supercharged, 9.5:1 instead of 8.5:1 ) I could be wrong, but I know that they have been using L36 blocks. Nothing beats blowing up your drag car and getting a new bottom end for $300-400 bucks :biggrin:

Link to some videos: http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3380199&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1
Apparently it did have stock pistons. Thats amazing! Had to edit my post, think im sitting in a pile of warm doo doo. :smile:
I tried to post the link but its down at this time. It was in a thread a few
days ago.

Haha, yeah. We are pretty good about watching our knock sensors, with the heaton M90 you make one pulley swap without enough supporting mods and you will chip pistons. Instill that in all the new guys, and we have a pretty good community and knowledge base.

No detonation, no problems. Now clean yourself off :biggrin:

Matt (the TTGT driver) uses the L67 blocks, not the L36 ;) just an fyi

Zooomer was using the l36 block for awhile in his twin charged gtp, but im not sure that he still is.

There would need to be a significant amount of modifying done to a GN to get the series II to fit.... then again, if you can fab ur own plumbing it may not be tooo bad...