Fastest 4l80e.....

John Nyguen has been 10.001 with his SII GN. Parish has a TT truck that has gone in the 9's. They are strong when built.

Jason

This is something I too would like to know.

I have a 55 Chevy that's in progress. We have a 555" BBC w/ twin PT76GTS turbos. It's really a street motor (small cam) but, will make some decent torque with 12-14 lbs (1000+ft lbs). I don't know the cars exact weight but, 3600-3800lbs it a good estimation.

Before I planned on doing the twins, I bought a TKO600. I really like the .64 OD. The more I think, I guess it may have issues unless I'm real easy with it.

Does this seem to be a good fit for the 4L80E or is the only reliable method a TH400 and GVOD?

STAGE 3 4L80E TRANSMISSION
The Stage 3 GM4L80E is built for street/strip, and drag racing vehicles producing up to 1800 horsepower/1800 foot pounds of torque. Are you tired of intermediate sprag failures and the maintenance and down time they cause? The Stage 3 transmission is assembled with our CNC machined unbreakable oversize 36 element sprag and outer race eliminating sprag failures. Each transmission is professionally assembled and given a thorough road test in our test vehicle to ensure performance and quality prior to shipping. Be sure to check out our custom gear ratios under “Optional Equipment”.

COMPETITION COMPONENTS
Lightened heavy duty direct clutch drum outfitted with our unbreakable oversized 36 element sprag. Oversized heat treated outer race and spiral retaining ring. Heavy duty intermediate clutch snap ring.CNC machined steel billet forward clutch hub.CNC machined oversized 300M billet input shaft assembly. CNC machined 300M billet intermediate shaft. Heavy duty intermediate clutch snap ring. Rollerized pump cover, forward clutch hub, center support, planetary gear set and output shaft. New factory pan and high flow filter.

CLUTCH AND BAND UPGRADES
6 forward, 6 red lined direct, and 4 intermediate clutches. New front and rear bands.

HYDRAULIC UPGRADES
Increased line and lubrication pressures. Solid Teflon sealing rings installed on the pump and center support. Special direct clutch case seals and dual feed direct clutch triples clutch apply pressure.Performance steel line boost valve. Custom calibrated valve body with all new solenoids.

#4L80E-3/MA $3299.00
Transmission with high performance street and strip calibration with manual automatic valve body.

#4L80E-3/FPFM $3399.00
Transmission with competition forward manual pattern full manual valve body. Specify with or without engine braking.

#4L80E-3/TB $3899.00
Transmission with competition forward pattern full manual valve body and transmission brake.

Chris, what does it take to put a 4l80e in a turbobuick? They are computer controlled so does that pose a problem? Do they bolt right up? Driveshaft?

Thanks Jason

9.6 @142 here in a street car :cool: .. has 20k on it :eek: reg shift pattern and shifts like a stocker till ya get it in :p

john nyguen would be the best person to ask however the stock shifter will work as well as the transmission lines with minor tweaking (as long as it is the early 4l80e without the center lube style case),3rd and fourth signals for the ecm can be soldered in to 4l80e wiring so they work,a mechanical speedo drive tail is needed but available,a shorter driveshaft and relocation of safety loop is necessary,an adapter plate($80.00) must be installed between the engine and trans,using a 94 and up crown victoria x member is necessary and it is alot lighter than the factory one,and an ecm for the trans is required if you want automatic shifts otherwise a full manual valve body is available with no computer needed.if you elongate the motor mount brackets on the chassis you can get the trans to drop down just enough where it wont hit the floor although you must trim the bellhousing ears slightly which is easy and causes no ill effects on durability.

Thanks Chris.

I feel like I'm jammed in a corner with this 5 speed. I have $4500 invested in a complete conversion (included eveything!) but I don't have that "Yeah, this will hold up feeling"

the 4l80 swap requires that you also modify your neutral safety switch. if you lengthen the shaft down from the steering column and the bracket that keeps the alignment correct it requires 2 inches on both pieces. the stock cable will work but might require some die grinding on cable mounting location holes. g-force also makes a double hump crossmember that will fit right in the car with a 4l80e. several companies also sell an adapter that converts the speed signal to drive your speedo cable electrically (little cheaper than the tail housing but little extra parts involved). if you have a newer core that relocates the lube circuit, there are lines available that brings the attachment point back to where the stock lines would normally reside. also a turbo 400 yoke works as long as the end has some clearance to slide over the ridge at the end of the 4l80e tailshaft (i had mine machined down the same height of the splines to eliminate any possibility of intereference). hopefully this helps.

Grumpy,

would like to you know your combo!

64D Probably should go over the details with CK. At your power/weight levels, I would definitely suggest all of the HP clutches and billet input shaft.

AND some type of scatter shield or something in case of an accident.

The 80e "should be" as durable as the TH400 all else being equal. Gearing and components wise, they are very similar. You might want to go with the 5 pinion planetary.

Last, talk with a reputable dealer CK or Rossler or the guys at Transmissioncenter.net are the only guys I can think of.

Whats The Fastest Anyone Has Gone With A 4l80e?

You may want to check out last months issue of GM High Tech Performance in which they had a feature on "The Ohio Boys" yellow 364-ci turbocharged Firebird that has gone somewhere in the mid 8's with a Rossler 4L80E. They also use a TH-400 on occasion but if you read the entire article you will see what I mean. I think the car has been either 8.3xx or 8.4xx but can remember which tranny they were using in it at the time. Hope this helps.

Jim C.

For those of you considering this swap please make sure to remember that if it retains all of the electronic features then one of TCI's TCU controllers would be needed. Kevin Winstead is an engineer there and also a Turbo Buick owner. He is a very stand up guy and his tranny knowledge and customer service is second to NONE!!! You could contact his for possible a group purchase to get a better deal. Here is the link for the controller that I am talking about. I have seen this unit in action and it is wonderful. I am able to program my shifts in my LS1 using HP Tuner software but have worked with a friends TCU setting up the shift points for him in his Chevelle. The unit make the shifts deads nuts on once programmed and works flawlessly. Hope this helps.

Jim C.

Thanks for the compliments Jim. We do try hard to work with our customers and be considerate of their needs. I'm not the most knowledgable trans guy, but I do have some sharp guys working with me. Our TCU works great on retrofit applications with the 4L60E and 4L80E transmissions. We're also working on a full manual / transbrake 4L80E trans, that doesn't require a standalone controller. We should have it done in a few weeks.
Kevin

Thanks for the compliments Jim. We do try hard to work with our customers and be considerate of their needs. I'm not the most knowledgable trans guy, but I do have some sharp guys working with me. Our TCU works great on retrofit applications with the 4L60E and 4L80E transmissions. We're also working on a full manual / transbrake 4L80E trans, that doesn't require a standalone controller. We should have it done in a few weeks.
Kevin

SOUNDS INTERESTING, KEEP US POSTED ON THAT.

John
You are running a TCI controller and a Transbrake? What type of stall convertor. You represented the GN/T Type proudly. For what it is worth I think you would have given the SCREAMing Truck lady hell..... What type of mileage do you get in current configuration. We need to get you back on PINKS... BEST SHOW EVER featured your car :)

You know, when I first started my combo 3 years ago, I got pretty decent mileage using the stock ecm and reds chips. I had it this way because I knew it would work and didn't want to ruin a motor with my tuning inability. Off throttle, I bet the car would get between 16-18 mpg.. pretty decent for 83's... Then again I have no idea really.

After putting the FAST in, it doesn't do so great. I bet the only difference is that the FAST just corrects for AF different than the stock ECM..AND that the cruise target A/F target is not like a stocker.

Anyway, this is a transmission forum.

For those guys that are REALLY interested in the 4l80e. I have to strêss trying to do business with a reputable dealer like CK and others.. You get what you pay for really. I have bêen the guinea pig here locally with my car. We have learned ALOT in the last 3 years and finally think we got it right this year.