Fastest 4-door domestic

6-FITZ

BUFFED
Hey guys and gals the GS and GTP are great cars and wouldn't mind having one. My buddy and I have debates all the time about the best all-around 4-door dom. I currently own a 93 SHO and a 91 Spirit R/T. He always give me noise about my SHO going against these w-bodies. Now I'll be the first to admit that from a dead stop I'd have to try to chase you down which I'd do, maybe not before the 1/4 but soon after. On the other hand, the N/A w-car would be eating dust all the way. As the spirit goes, I don't worry about too many other 4-doors or 2-doors for that matter. Don't get me wrong no flames intended just want to get a little bench racing started. :D

The best all-around 4-door (import or domestic)??

Maybe for now it's a 2002 Maxima (any trim GXE, SE, or GLE).

Quick: 14.4s to 14.3s at 95-97 on automatics and 6-speed manuals

Affordable: Sticker price for GXE auto is under $25,000 with power driver seat, alarm, remote, HID lights, CD/cass, and 255hp motor.

Refinement: Similar to luxury cars costing thousands more

Reliability: Consistently one of the best.

Powerband character: Some like to go fast with revs, some like to with raw motor torque; this motor gives both.

Flair: Nice creases on the body, interior is a class act, will impress coworkers and your date (whether she's trash or a cosmopolitan lady)

All this, what more can one want?

As for domestic, the closest o the Max in offering comfort, flair, refinement, reliability, affordability would be the Regal GS followed by the GTP. Consolation to the GS and GTP camp is surely the easy moddability typical of boosted factory machines.

Definitley good # for your cars. But as far as the Max. is concerned I doubt those numbers. Especially for the auto. True the Max. makes 255 hp. which is nothing to sneeze at, the simple fact remains 32 hp. and 20-30lb. ft. of tq. won't make a 15.1 et. for the man. and 16.2 et. for the auto. a mid to low 14 sec. car. As far as my 93 auto SHO is concerned I will show my tailights to any auto. maxima or altima in any encounter. And if someone should show up w/ a man. in any of the 2 cars we're talking about, they'll find out old tech can still be new tech cubes (ala Spirit R/T fame). The point I am making is it took GM. and Nissan how many yrs. to finally make something that could challenge the 4-door dominacy of the 2 cars I have, which are stock. Those 2 auto makers still don't have too many vehicles that can beat my R/T, 4-door or otherwise. Sorry just the facts.:(

I read from the www.maxima.org forum that '02 Maxima guys are getting 14.4s for automatic and 14.3s for 6-speed. The '02s stand to gain a lot over the '00 and '01s not just from the peak motor output increases, but the fact that maximum allowable rpms on the '02s are much higher than the peak horsepower rpms now (rev cut at 6500rpm and peak power rpm at 5800rpm). Since Maximas don't have a CVT where the motor can hang at peak power rpms while WOT accelerating, the motor has to rev typically well beyond the power peak (usually 10-15% for typical passenger car transmission ratio spacing) to get the meatiest part of the output curve. The '00 to '01 Maximas really could not use their power curve (peak power rpm 6400, rev cut at 6500rpm, automatic shifts below 6400 rpm!) fully and hence many people wonder why the '00 and '01 Maximas could not really accelerate much faster than Camry V6s and Accord V6s (transmission for equivalent transmission) despite having much more advertised hp.

The newer 3.5L VQ motor by the way is in the Altima SE and a bit detuned. Still MT went 14.68 at 96.8 mph on a 5-speed 240hp Altima. An almost equivalent weight 255hp Maxima SE close-ratio 6-speed should net mid-14s easy and as I read from the forums (and believe), a good driver in right conditions can do better.

Yup, finally these import sedans are moving. However the import guys are putting out fast sedans en masse: Honda's next gen. Accord may have a big shot in the hp arm, Acura TL Type S rumored for even more hp, Lexus GS430 continues with it high 13 to low 14 second dominance, Subaru WRX is nifty and supposedly gonna get an even harder core model soon, Mitsubishi may answer Subaru's WRX, BMWs have a string of screamers, Mercedes AMG lineup is no joke...read a guy with a stock C32 AMG running 13.2s at 106.x mph, Nissan who has 3 screamers: 255hp Max/240hp Altima/175hp torquey 2.5L Sentra SE-R, etc...

The domestics have been really fragmented in their attempts to bring real straight-line screamers. Example includes maybe a few years of the SHO 6-screamer and a couple years of the R/T Spirit before they were replaced with slower models or discontinued, then a couple years when the Northstar Caddy was fast before it got heavy, and now the supercharged GM 3800s. I wish the Big 3 automakers had some screaming sedan offerings ALL AT THE SAME TIME. There's no question the imports are creeping up at a quiet yet alarming rate. Is anybody in Detroit noticing that one doesn't need to have a dedicated sports car to have a performance image?

At any rate, the Maxima ownership is in general a cut above the typical "can-do" ricer crowd. Thankfully, they are mature and don't boast too much although the performance of these '02 Maximas clearly excite them; at least for now.

Thanx for the education bro. I still find the #s hard to believe for the maxima. I had heard the altima was faster than the max because of the lighter weight the altima enjoyed. Also the point I was making is it took foreign and dom. man. how long to produce a family sedan on the same performance level as the SHOs and the R/T? You're right when you say that the American big 3 has kind of given this segment of the perf. car arena to our overseas brothers w/ the exception of the w-body twins. But' it won't be long before GM. screws those 2 stellar performers up. They've done it in the past and they'll do it again. They know what we want don't they?:rolleyes: If they don't the nissans and toyotas do. It's sad, but I think GM really doesn't want anything fast out there but there corvette. I don't know about you but us average joes can't afford vettes. I guess I'll stick w/ my 87 TR kick but anyways! :D

Originally posted by 383LT1
Yup, finally these import sedans are moving. However the import guys are putting out fast sedans en masse: Honda's next gen. Accord may have a big shot in the hp arm, Acura TL Type S rumored for even more hp, Lexus GS430 continues with it high 13 to low 14 second dominance, Subaru WRX is nifty and supposedly gonna get an even harder core model soon, Mitsubishi may answer Subaru's WRX, BMWs have a string of screamers, Mercedes AMG lineup is no joke...read a guy with a stock C32 AMG running 13.2s at 106.x mph, Nissan who has 3 screamers: 255hp Max/240hp Altima/175hp torquey 2.5L Sentra SE-R, etc...
Yup, I know faster affordable 4-doors are coming, I guess I need to go ahead and bite the bullet for that SC pulley, I can't deal with a Buick getting beat up on.... :p

Yup, I know faster affordable 4-doors are coming, I guess I need to go ahead and bite the bullet for that SC pulley, I can't deal with a Buick getting beat up on....

LOL.......... Guess I need to get that SMC kit on order, would suck to have my old pushrod turbocharged V6 get beat by one of these new fangled N/A zillion valve per cylinder low emission 4 door stereo's on rubber coated wheels because I turned the boost down to run on todays crap gas.