Faster spool-up using WG solenoid. Why?

Tim Cucci

Why do I have faster spool up using the stock WG solenoid vs. by-passing the WG solenoid. Big Difference!! between these set-ups on my car.
Thanks
Tim

I could be wrong here, but I believe its because the WG solenoid is ecm controlled to open the WG at a certian point, whereas without it the WG would start to open very soon in comparison to having the solenoid on. When the solenoid is hooked up, the wastegate is held shut until the ecm says to open, thereby making it spool faster because all the exhaust is going through the turbo. I think without the solenoid the wastegate will open sooner, bypassing the turbo and slowing spool up time. Clear as mud, huh?

use both and have best of both worlds..

t into the boost hose going to the wastegate and run it to one side of the solenoid

Makes sense to me Sam. That is what a solenoid is supposed to do right. Why didn't I think of that???
Good idea Red I will try that . Thanks
Tim

Hey red dont want to sound like an idiot (too late) But I would put the from the wastgate oon the bottom part of the "t" right then have one side goiong to the solenoid and the other going to Where exactly?

t with one end going to solenoid and other end going to wastegate

the solenoid will be open and bleed the pressure off till it gets to its normal close point which will let the pressure go to the wastegate as if you hadent t'd into it so once it closes it will rely on your bleeder setup to adjust from there.

just say so if thats confusing

in other words just before the wastegate put a t in line and run the extra end of the t to the solenoid

What voltage is the waste gate solenoid? I want to use a hobb switch to control mine. Do I need to drop the voltage down from 12VDC to something else?

Thanks
Joe Cook

Sounds a little confusing, probably because it is in writing. But i have a boost controller on mine and how would that work, if i wanted to use the solenoid for faster spool? or cant that be done. Because im not using the solenoid at all right now with my setup. Would this make a difference in spool?

thanks

jojo

Red, now I am confused. Are you saying to have a line on each port of the solenoid? One line comes from compressor thru the orfice to the sol.?? one line comes from the T in the WG line back to the other port on the sol.??
WOW????
Now I really am confused.

Thanks
Tim

only to one side of the solenoid

the other side of the solenoid will stay open to bleed off the pressure till the solenoid closes

should work along with and controller just you have no control below the point the wastegate solenoid opens

The wastegate solonoid helps spool by preventing some pressure from reaching the wastegate untill boost raises to the point and the wastegate needs to be opened to control boost. Without it, the wastegate starts to open far before the desired maximum boost, pretty obvious to see that this is detrimental to spool time.

With most boost controllers, they have a solonoid in them that does the same as the wastegate solonoid, there is no need to use the stock one. The Modern Musclecar BstC is the exception to this, as it uses the factory wastegate solonoid.

Originally posted by Mikel
The wastegate solonoid helps spool by preventing some pressure from reaching the wastegate untill boost raises to the point and the wastegate needs to be opened to control boost. Without it, the wastegate starts to open far before the desired maximum boost, pretty obvious to see that this is detrimental to spool time.

With most boost controllers, they have a solonoid in them that does the same as the wastegate solonoid, there is no need to use the stock one. The Modern Musclecar BstC is the exception to this, as it uses the factory wastegate solonoid.

Thanks Mikel and Reds. Mikel i guess that is the answer i was looking for. My Boost Controller is a Turbo Smart piece, which is pretty nice if you ask me, real solid piece i think it cost me 70 bucks ordered it through turbo smart.

thanks

jojo