FAST XFI....do I need it and is it worth it??

rssooner

Hello to everyone.

First let me state that I have very little knowledge on this subject but have read a lot on this site so I am not clueless. I have a GN that I ran a lot in the past but over the past 6 years I have only driven it a couple times a month and no track time. I got the car to go 11.87 at 115. I'm in a place where I can start getting the car back out to the track and I want to do some upgrades and replacements (i.e.:fuel pump, alcohol system) but I also want to know if the FAST system would be a nice addition even though 1. I don't have the knowledge on it yet 2. Is it worth the $$$ if I am going to be going to the track 6-8 times a year? 3. Is their a website or YouTube that explains the ends and outs of it as it relates to our Buicks?

I appreciate the input.

RS

Not for the novice, but you have to have one if you want to learn how to use it. Most who switch say they wished they would have done it sooner. Get used to using a laptop though; a lot. As far as if you need it, that's up to you. As far as it being worth the money, that's up to you too. I'll get one eventually, but I'm mostly doing it so I can learn it and help others with their cars. Plenty of guys have gone fast on a stock ecm and chip. With either, user can mess the car up bad. Just depends on the method you want to use to get where you want to go.

Sorry for the wishy washy answer.

Not to get off topic but I can't help at all with the FAST system but maybe you could check out the SD2 chip and a powerlogger. It has some interesting tuning capabilities.

Take the cash your going to spend and buy more upgrades. Post the up the mods you have done so far and people will help you from there.

Best money I ever spent. Car picked up without a doubt. Yes I can tune a chip.;) The drivability of the car is even way better. Yes I can tune a chip;) I am in the process of putting a FAST system on my mostly stock car too. Do you need it? That's hard to answer. Will the car show improvement? Without a doubt. I get nothing out of singing XFI praises. It is what it is. We can buy turbos, shiny parts, intakes, cams, roller rockers, stronger transmissions, ect. Then manage it with 25 year old technology. I don't have anything bad to say about chips. Have used them for years.

Grumpy may be the chip master if there was ever one. The 9 second pass on pump gas/alky is still at the top of the list. Wonder what it could have been if you were tuning with XFI? I remember those days when you guys were paving the way for alky. The car had more in it.:D

Take the cash your going to spend and buy more upgrades. Post the up the mods you have done so far and people will help you from there.

Here are my mods. I'm sure I will miss something.

Stock unopened motor except springs, stretched intercooler, TE-60, 3" THDP, SMC alky (want to get Alky Control), upgraded fuel pump hotwired (I want to replace), HR Parts & stuff uppers, lowers and sway bar, TT chips, line lock, transbrake

Keep in mind everything is at least 8 years old.

Let me also say that money is not that much of a issue. I just don't know if it will be over my head since I am not racing the car very often.

Here's my two cents....

Fast is awesome. .it is also "bling" unless you live and breathe it. If the car lives at the track go with FAST. Otherwise PL and some goodies are the cats ass.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

FAST isn't hard to understand if you are willing to learn. Never seen a post where someone said "I wish I hadn't bought FAST XFI":D

Here are my mods. I'm sure I will miss something.

Stock unopened motor except springs, stretched intercooler, TE-60, 3" THDP, SMC alky (want to get Alky Control), upgraded fuel pump hotwired (I want to replace), HR Parts & stuff uppers, lowers and sway bar, TT chips, line lock, transbrake

Keep in mind everything is at least 8 years old.

Leave the chip in it. IF ya get in the low 10s then maybe make the move. Keep it simple !!! You won't regret it !!

From a cost standpoint, doing the classic chip only is a no brainer. If you start down the path of chip/powerlogger/maf translator pro/wideband tracking/scanmaster, then the cost and installation of it is not exactly cheap so jumping to XFI for a bit more may make sense in the long run.

Need is a subjective word. My wife said i dont need a Grand National..But I tell her i DO. I also think i need a FAST XFI just because of where i want to go with the car. But trust me when i tell you its worth every penny especially if you have good tech support behind it. I personally purchased mine form Cal Hartline and his down to earth personality and knowledge and his tech support is why i say worth every penny. Besides if you want to start adding some Horse Power in efforts to go faster the FAST will save you money in the long run. Buy it, you will be happy you did.

Takes years of learning before anyone should make a move to aftermarket management system.

Rick

Very true! Just look at all the people that removed and sold their Translator Pro systems simply because they were overwhelmed by the complexity of tuning, and volume of adjustment points that need attention.

Whether it's overwhelming or not, the Translator Pro, and the new SD2 systems are dozens of times less complex that a stand-a-lone aftermarket fuel management system.

If my car were a race car, sure, I'd likely upgrade to an XFI, but it's not. I have no need for that level of complexity, but still want the added tuning capabilities that speed density affords. Hence my travels through the Translator Pro for several years, and now the SD2.

If u have the money and dont care then get it. Get it tuned once and be done with it. If ur not a weekend warrior and rather just go to the track every so often. Then i wld use a chip car and be done with it and save the extra 1000+ dollars

rssooner... I understand if you might be intimidated by all the choices the XFI system provides as was I when I first got it. However, once you start to see how it works it is not that difficult at all. No person ever started at the top even the best tooners started from where you are now. Like I said before the XFI system was very enjoyable to learn for me becuase of who I purchased it from and the tech support I get. But that having been said there is some common sence to this just like everything else in life, don't start changing more than one thing at a time to where your lost. For example when I purchased my XFI from Cal Hartline I told him what I had and what I wanted to do with the car. He provided a tune that was dead on and when I wanted to make any changes I didn't understand I just called him and he walked me through it. If you also want to learn more on how the XFI works and fuel injection in general FAST sells a instructional video for about $40 that will give you better understanding of how it all works. Like I said don't be intimidated by the system once you buy it will you will be happy you did especially if you want to take this car to the track more often.I haven't met anyone who regrets getting the fast xfi from nearly stock street car to mid six second cars. Don't be AFFRAID of technology, you will do fine.

I'm curious. How many of those who think it is too complicated are speaking from experience and actually had an xfi system on their car? Not, know a guy, who was a friend of my cousin,....