FAST system/need or be able to use Autometer Data Logger?

50Cobra

Hi all, I intend to use a FAST system in my new car, but I have a chance to pick up a complete Autometer Data Logger setup from $500-$1000. I was reading all the things (driveshaft RPM, converter slip, etc that it can monitor) and it looks like something that would be good to have. Even better is the individual EGT readings, something that I don't think the FAST can do. I know fast has a Wide Band O2 but that is not for individual cylinder tuning...

What can the FAST data logger setup do? Anything? Is this a good deal on the datalogger and should I get it to use with the FAST system.

Thanks for the input!

84 LX 460 Project - STALLED: FOR SALE, D&D HEADERS, COATED, SWAP MOTOR MOUNTS! GET STARTED ON A 460 SWAP CHEAP!!
00 Ranger XLT 4.0L

I looked at that Datalogger at one point. It is a great set up if you want to just datalog information. There are I believe 16 channels you can record on and that can be doubled for more money. Its been a while.

In my opinion I would not buy the datalogger. The FAST unit can do all of that as is. The WBO2 function takes a lot of guess work out of tuning. You can tune using EGTs but that will not correct A/F ratios on the fly like a FAST or DFI system will. That is quite helpful.

Matter of fact my Dad and I are taking the GN to a dyno and I will tell you just how good the FAST is shortly.

The real decision may be deciding which one to buy, the FAST or the DFI Gen 7. Just to stir up some crap I would be looking at AEMs new deal. It requires you coming up with a harness to link the ECM but for the price it looks to be very good.

The Autometer unit is not required or integrated with the FAST system. The data logger we sell will monitor up to 14 sensors from the ECU. There aren't any external inputs; it merely connects to the ECU through the communication port and records ECU data.

Don't get too hung up on EGTs for individual cylinder tuning. EGTs can rise or fall for any number of reasons and you could wind up going the wrong way chasing a problem. I don't know that there will ever be a day when reading a spark plug isn't the best way to determine what's happening inside an engine.

Datalogging?

Craig wrote:
"Don't get too hung up on EGTs for individual cylinder tuning. EGTs can rise or fall for any number of reasons and you could wind up going the wrong way chasing a problem. I don't know that there will ever be a day when reading a spark plug isn't the best way to determine what's happening inside an engine."

Reading plugs is an ART in itself! I try to read and absorb as much info on that process as I can. I have a couple of articles and booklets, with COLOR fotos, from Champion and such, that help in the learning process. If you are so inclined, I'd recommend you contact Champion, etc, and ask if the pubs are still available. Buy a GOOD quality plug reading lite.. [I still have my Champion lite from 1965!!] Another idea that works for me, is I have someone else look too, and keep the plugs w/ notes on them as to their location in the engine and the "read" they gave.
Going one step further, the inclusion of individual cyl EGTs in your tuning, will help some, but, as Craig said, I would NOT use it as an absolute.;)
I use the DATAMITE datalogger,[27 channels, 19 minutes!] to track fuel psi, engine rpm, boost, driveshaft rpm, engine rpm, and converter out psi.
Boost and engine rpm are redundant recordings, as they are on the FAST ECU. I do that so the traces can be viewed and compared on one EXCEL sheet.
NOT cheap, but "fun" costs money!!!:D :D :D

Back under my rock!:cool: