FAST startup without O2 on fresh rebuild?

4C FED

I'd like to startup my fresh rebuild today without the O2 sensor. I have the potential for a coolant leak due to some custom adapters on the intake manifold.
So I'd like to make sure everything is in good order before I install the expensive FAST O2.

I've got a stock O2, so that will plug the hole.

What do I need to change in the config to startup without the O2?

No driving, just a heat cycle in the driveway. If everything looks Ok, then I'll go ahead & install the wideband.

Thanks

you need to do nothing....the system will just run in open loop (ie no 02 adjustments)

I only use my WB 02 at the track

I am not keen on the idea.

When you break in a camshaft, you don't want to find out you are running at a 16:1 A/F ratio for 25 minutes at 2000 RPM, that could get things really hot.

I recommend a stock ECM if possible.

If you MUST start up on the FAST, I recommend you get a program from someone who has a nearly identical engine, and their VE table is so accurate that they can run without the WB.

Just my opinion.

-Bob Cunningham

?????????????

How about some good old fashioned distilled water, and keep the WB in place?? A bit of steam without antifreeze contamination, will not hurt the sensor....;)

Re: ?????????????

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
How about some good old fashioned distilled water, and keep the WB in place?? A bit of steam without antifreeze contamination, will not hurt the sensor....;)
I am going to start mine sometime this week and ive already filled it with water, I deal with the antifreeze later this year

Or, simply monitor the NB O2 and keep it in the "rich" range.

don't think he is breaking in a cam.......

I agree with getting a program that is close to your combo, but if all you are gonna do is start and warm it up, you will be fine

sorta doubt you need to run in closed loop to warm it up.....

I already have a startup program that I have run in the past.
Roller cam so break-in isn't an issue.

And I run Evans coolant, so using water first then doing a hot purge prior to installing the Evans isn't my idea of fun. :D

I went ahead & started it with the FAST O2 in.
No steam or moisture out the tailpipe after running for 15 minutes. But I'm not really sure that's a good inidcator since Evans dosen't use water.

Hmmmnn

Originally posted by 4C FED
I already have a startup program that I have run in the past.
Roller cam so break-in isn't an issue.

And I run Evans coolant, so using water first then doing a hot purge prior to installing the Evans isn't my idea of fun. :D

I went ahead & started it with the FAST O2 in.
No steam or moisture out the tailpipe after running for 15 minutes. But I'm not really sure that's a good inidcator since Evans dosen't use water.

Good.. I guess if the rest of us had all the "details", we'd saved some bandwidth...:rolleyes:

Re: Hmmmnn

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
Good.. I guess if the rest of us had all the "details", we'd saved some bandwidth...:rolleyes:

Sorry for the lack of details. :eek:
I was quite stressed & anxious with the startup yesterday.
To many things running through my head to craft a coherent post.