FAST data logger problems

Craig Smith

That was easy!
We've had a few people call us about some problems with the FAST data logger that we had a tough time explaining until now. This info may or may not apply to anyone here, but here's the info anyway for those who are interested:

The problem happens on cars equipped with 16-volt batteries. At the 16 volt level seen during normal operation, no problems have been found. However, when a battery charger is connected to a 16 volt battery, the voltage rises to about 19 or 20 volts. Testing at the Brighton facility has shown that at this point, the voltage regulator inside the data logger becomes too hot to operate reliably. What I experienced at the race track was that under these operating conditions, the data logger reset itself as soon as it was armed, resulting in a loss of data.

In order to avoid this problem, it is important NOT to expose the data logger to operating voltages above 16 or 17 volts. This means that the battery switch on a race car equipped with a 16 volt battery should be shut off prior to connecting the battery charger. If the battery switch needs to be on in order to use the electronics in the car, the charger must be disconnected before doing anything with the data logger.

As an alternative, there are step-down modules available from Turbo Start which provide a 12 volt power source from a 16 volt system. The data logger can even be run from a 9 volt battery. Whatever the solution entails, it is important not to power a data logger with a 16 volt battery charger.

Craig, thanks for that .. I've noticed this happen with a few other Honda pro racers and they never understood why ... I'll explain it to them, but they were using the 16v without alternator and no step down ...

Also, what is the minimum voltage necessary to have the wideband work ? I register 12.2v sometimes and it stays at a constant 14.5 ratio and does not work, I'm wondering if my battery is too weak or voltage to low ?

thanks,
Greg