FAST Cranking - Won't start first spin cycle, then starts immediately on second?

carbuff

Ok, how was that subject for confusing things?! :)

Here's the problem... When I first go into the garage and try to start the motor, it will spin, and spin, and spin...... Hitting the throttle doesn't seem to help things either. I don't think it's ever started the first time I throw the switch.

So I stop, and then turn the switch again, and it almost always immediately fires.

Given this, I think that means I have the fuel and air circuits in the close to right spot, but I could be mistaken? Does the fact that the first time I try it doesn't start indicate that I'm wrong?

Also, I do have fuel pressure the entire time also. I checked! :)

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I also have a cold idle question, but I'll post that separately...

Bryan

Originally posted by carbuff
Ok, how was that subject for confusing things?! :)

Also, I do have fuel pressure the entire time also. I checked! :)
Bryan

I would think you might check the fuel pressure again, if the car sits over night and is hard to start first off I would guess either you have an injector leaking down or the check valve is leaking down letting fuel out of the fuel system. Then when the fuel pump cycles for the second time (fuel system now full) it will start.

If I let the car set for a day or so I must let the fuel pump cycle twice ( by turning the key on until the fuel pump cycles then off to let it cycle again) or it will do the same thing, but once it has been started (after sitting) it will start right up.

There is a setting you can adjust to let the fuel pump run for so many seconds when you turn on the key, unless you have your fuel pump wired different to a switch.

Good luck

Sounds like how ever you set the cold start prime needs a little more fuel.
The sceond crank is needed to delivery enough in your cas to start the car.