FAST and Windows XP

96Z28SS

I can't get my windows XP to communicate with my FAST.
Do I have to go back to windows 98?
Is there something i have to change to make XP work?

Rob

The Windows version of C-Com works OK with XP, but the DOS version can't work. There is no support for DOS anymore in XP.

I had problems getting mine to connect at first also. It turns out that I had the com port settings wrong. The connection on my computer was using com 1 and my Fast unit was set for com 3 (or vice versa)
You may want to check that.

craig,
my old laptop crapped out on me and i had heard there were some issues with win/xp. i called fast tech and they (i think tony) said that it had problems with xp and that they were still working on it. so now i'm confused. what's the scoop?

Originally posted by 96Z28SS
I can't get my windows XP to communicate with my FAST.
Do I have to go back to windows 98?
Is there something i have to change to make XP work?

Rob

One thing you may want to make sure of is that you're not running any Palm or PocketPC sync software. I know that the Palm Hotsync software has a tendency to grab the Com port before anything else can, and when you try to load C-Com it will complain about not being able to communicate with Com1. I ran into that problem a few weeks ago on a friend's computer when he couldn't communicate with the ECU. You'll also want to make sure that you have the correct com port selected in the C-Com setup (dumb statement, I know), and check to see that the com port doesn't have any driver errors by checking the device manager in Windows XP.

Otherwise, there is nothing in XP that you have to change in order to make C-Com work correctly. I've run it in compatibility mode and it functions no differently than running it normally.

I just talked to tony again and he says that the majority of the complaint calls he gets is with the xp system. data logging in particular. i want to try it but i'm worried about it wacking something out and hurting my motor. i don't want to end up being one of those horror stories.

well, i ran out of options so i tried the xp. it seems to works fine thought i haven't tried logging yet. i heard people mention bugs in that area, anyone know what kind of bugs?
thanks

XP??

We're using a new SONY Vaio w/ XP on it... NO PROBLEMS!!;) ;)
I remember seeing something posted about using a USB adapter on the newer LT's that don't have a serial port???
Craig, weren't U in on that discussion???

windows XP

Considering the above requirements have been met about the com port, etc the latest version of the c-com windows software(1.005) will work perfect with XP.

Mike (FAST) 662-224-9335

I also have XP on my laptop and had the same problems others are having. I just made a dos bootdisk,put C-com on it. I know it's not Windows but seems to work faster,easier with few problems. Especially when logging a run.