Families in the path of the flood...

JOHNDEEREGN

Staff member
I ray that you guys make it out safe and sound... looks like it is only going to get worse.

ya know whats really sad?? if this happened to some half assed country in the middle of nowhere OUR gov would be sending $$$$ an all sorts of help!! :mad: Keep your heads up guys. :cool:

ya know whats really sad?? if this happened to some half assed country in the middle of nowhere OUR gov would be sending $$$$ an all sorts of help!! :mad: Keep your heads up guys. :cool:

Very true Dan, sad but true!:mad:

Very true Dan, sad but true!:mad:

Not to minimize the people suffering over this,It's terrible,I can't imagine everything i own suddenly being under water,+ lost,ruined or changed forever.

but I just can't help wonder how many buick tr's will be destroyed by this also,
Imagine losing your house,belongings,photo's etc.+ have to find a place to live until your house dries out then deal with the aftermath + then have to look at your gn that you have had for yrs also sitting either partially or totally under thick,
smelly,muddy water.
I would imagine in the months to come ,we will be seeing some flood,cars coming up for sale,or at least pics of some flood damaged cars.
Good luck to everyone dealing with this right now. :(

I think most people had plenty of notice to move their valuables. Older folks or people with no place to move stuff might be a different story.

I recently read where FEMA is going after individuals for money that FEMA overpaid them after Katrina. But nothing about the questionable use of millions given to public agencies and spent on non Katrina related items.
We give billions to places like Haiti and never ask the govt how they distributed it, but our govt agents constantly screw up and then go after individuals for pennies while they gave millions to other govts/agencies without caring about whether they deserved it or not.

I think most people had plenty of notice to move their valuables. Older folks or people with no place to move stuff might be a different story.

I recently read where FEMA is going after individuals for money that FEMA overpaid them after Katrina. But nothing about the questionable use of millions given to public agencies and spent on non Katrina related items.
We give billions to places like Haiti and never ask the govt how they distributed it, but our govt agents constantly screw up and then go after individuals for pennies while they gave millions to other govts/agencies without caring about whether they deserved it or not.

They just had a story on tv ,where people moved all their stuff to a storage facility to protect it from flooding + the storage facility got flooded.

i've kind of given up on feeling sorry for people that live in a flood plain when they get flooded. especially if they rebuild in the same spot after one good flood.. living in this area, i see the buildup to the annual flooding of Fargo every year..

the Mississippi is a big river with a huge drainage basin that extends from the Rocky Mountains in the west to the Appalachian mountains up almost to the Great Lakes in the east and almost up to the Canadian border in MN, and as such is going to have a big flood plain. don't build there or live there and you won't have to worry about the "hundred year floods" that seem to happen every 5 years or the "500 year floods" that happen every 10 years.

well I guess they are goin to start opening the gates to start the inland flooding. take care guys. :redface:

i've kind of given up on feeling sorry for people that live in a flood plain when they get flooded. especially if they rebuild in the same spot after one good flood.. living in this area, i see the buildup to the annual flooding of Fargo every year..

A couple of the folks they interviewed were pretty humble about their plights and said they knew the risks when they built their homes there. I think the interviewer was looking for the "dramatic" reaction but he didn't get it.

The Morganza Spillway had to be open or the results would have made Katrina look like a light flood after a heavy downpour. The predicted flood map showed water as deep as 25ft from north of Baton Rouge to the Gulf of Mexico (I'm guessing that's around 150 miles).
This would have crippled the US economy. 20% of gasoline in the US is refined from Baton Rouge to south of New Orleans. Also the Port of New Orleans is one of the most important ports in the US.
It's unfortunate that some people's homes will flood, but they all knew that the possibility was there. I feel sorry for them, but they're "the lesser of two evils".
My house is about 500 yards from the Bonnet Carre spillway (the one they opened earlier this week). The water is getting pretty high up on the levee near my house. I'm hoping it holds....

the Mississippi is a big river with a huge drainage basin that extends from the Rocky Mountains in the west to the Appalachian mountains up almost to the Great Lakes in the east and almost up to the Canadian border in MN, and as such is going to have a big flood plain. don't build there or live there and you won't have to worry about the "hundred year floods" that seem to happen every 5 years or the "500 year floods" that happen every 10 years.

yeah ok, I don't even know where to begin to give a reply to this.

The Morganza Spillway had to be open or the results would have made Katrina look like a light flood after a heavy downpour. The predicted flood map showed water as deep as 25ft from north of Baton Rouge to the Gulf of Mexico (I'm guessing that's around 150 miles).
This would have crippled the US economy. 20% of gasoline in the US is refined from Baton Rouge to south of New Orleans. Also the Port of New Orleans is one of the most important ports in the US.
It's unfortunate that some people's homes will flood, but they all knew that the possibility was there. I feel sorry for them, but they're "the lesser of two evils".
My house is about 500 yards from the Bonnet Carre spillway (the one they opened earlier this week). The water is getting pretty high up on the levee near my house. I'm hoping it holds....

It almost has me thinking that the opening was basicaly done to say that "we are doing what we can". Looking at the water levels at the spillway on the way to work today and the fact that we have not reached the crest gets my feet feeling a little wet. Topping the levee is not my concern, it's a Katrina like breakthrough that would be disastrous.

Any pics or news or reports,of any flooded or ruined Turbo Regals yet.
Its a big area i would think that there must be some that got destroyed,
I'm figuring probably some parts cars + or non running cars maybe.
I would think once its over we will start to see or hear of some.
But sure would be nice if we didn't.

I am about 12 miles from the main levee system of the Basin. Lafayette is 27 feet above sea level, I should be okay. I have friends and family who will be losing camps in the basin. Other family members are close to the levee, they have another problem: bears, hogs, snakes, deer, basically any of the land animals that live in the swamp. They will have no dry ground and be forced to go over the levee into the citys. Of course down here when that happens we just say: "Put on some rice, dinner is served". :)

You would be surprised how many people may have moved in and were either never informed it was possible to flood or did not do their homework to investigate it. Especially back in the days when anyone could get a loan for anything. I have neighbors that forsome reason didn't know there was a military aircraft base less than 2 miles away and want to complain about the noise.... It's the sound of freedom. They also live on a lake and wonder how it's possible they could flood. Not to mention FEMA recently redrew the 100 yr flood plain and no one would have never known unless my bank would not have notified me requiring additional insurance.

I wonder about all that crop land, now being flooded,will that land be ruined for yrs to come or can it just be replanted once the water recedes?

I wonder about all that crop land, now being flooded,will that land be ruined for yrs to come or can it just be replanted once the water recedes?

One thing is for sure. We will have a GREAT crawfish season with all that water. Of course that is the only positive aspect. Everything else is all negative...

Then I am hearing from some of my friends that the insurance will not cover them since it is "man caused" flooding..:confused: