Fake NOS Weatherstripping?????

86GNER

Is there any way to tell between aftermarket and NOS GM t-top weatherstripping. I am wondering if I got the real thing as I paid for.

Thanks.

I've never seen any usable part numbers on the GM parts I sell. I can tell you the solid roof weatherstrip says A COUPE or something like that on it. I would think the aftermarket units have some type of a logo or trademark on them.:confused:

I got mine from Glen at nos4gn. It had Genuine GM all over the package with a part number in huge numbers. It also said "Made in Canada".

I ordered original GM weatherstripping. I got them in the mail. Howver, they had a powdery look to them and were a bit dried out. They were also coming apart at the corners where the softer rubber meets the harder rubber. They were not in a bag. Just loose in the box they were shipped in. These were likely original just based on what they looked like. I called to complain and was told to take them to a GM dealer for an exchange. I told them that since it was not shipped in GM packaging, there was no way a dealer would take them back. I finally just sent them back and asked for a replacement set. I received the replacement set but these were sealed in a clear platic bag (The top of the bag was heat sealed). The seals looked almost too perfect this time. There was No powdery coating and the seals were very oily feeling as if they were rubbed with some type of clear oily substance (This is why this set was probably in a sealed bag). Not sure why I got such a poor set the first time and such a perfect set this time. Makes me a little suspicious especially since this set came in a sealed bag that was not GM packaging. It seems to be very close to the originals on my car but I can't be for sure because the originals are still on the car. As for the vendor, it is one that everyone on this forum knows but I will refrain from naming them as I have always had good service from them in the past and other parts (GM NOS front and rear bumper inserts) I ordered with the first set of seals were as described. No point in stirring the pot without knowing if these are GM or not GM weatherstripping. When I go to have the weatherstripping put on in the next few weeks, I will find out if they are GM NOS. If not, I will surely be calling the vendor and my credit card company. I would like to know if it is normal for GM NOS weatherstripping to be powdery or oily when new? Also is it common for them to come loose? Could the vendor have purchased a large lot that wasn't in GM Packaging?

I ordered original GM weatherstripping. I got them in the mail. Howver, they had a powdery look to them and were a bit dried out. They were also coming apart at the corners where the softer rubber meets the harder rubber. They were not in a bag. Just loose in the box they were shipped in. These were likely original just based on what they looked like. I called to complain and was told to take them to a GM dealer for an exchange. I told them that since it was not shipped in GM packaging, there was no way a dealer would take them back. I finally just sent them back and asked for a replacement set. I received the replacement set but these were sealed in a clear platic bag (The top of the bag was heat sealed). The seals looked almost too perfect this time. There was No powdery coating and the seals were very oily feeling as if they were rubbed with some type of clear oily substance (This is why this set was probably in a sealed bag). Not sure why I got such a poor set the first time and such a perfect set this time. Makes me a little suspicious especially since this set came in a sealed bag that was not GM packaging. It seems to be very close to the originals on my car but I can't be for sure because the originals are still on the car. As for the vendor, it is one that everyone on this forum knows but I will refrain from naming them as I have always had good service from them in the past and other parts (GM NOS front and rear bumper inserts) I ordered with the first set of seals were as described. No point in stirring the pot without knowing if these are GM or not GM weatherstripping. When I go to have the weatherstripping put on in the next few weeks, I will find out if they are GM NOS. If not, I will surely be calling the vendor and my credit card company. I would like to know if it is normal for GM NOS weatherstripping to be powdery or oily when new? Also is it common for them to come loose? Could the vendor have purchased a large lot that wasn't in GM Packaging?

We offer an aftermarket T-top seal kit.There are other units out there that I do not carry because they are junk. If it was powdery it was more then likely an old set of GM original seals.
I hate to say it but the aftermarket units we sell fit better on the main body then the GM units do.
Also on the anti rattle strips. The aftermarket units we carry are hollow. If you look at the ends you will see the difference.The originals are solid.
When we ship a T-top seal kit we remove most of them from their original boxes. One box is a long 6 x 6 x 28" long rectangle. The other is 20 x 20 x 4.
We remove & put into 1 box. The only clear plastic units I have seen from GM is RH T-top seal itself but has the GM sticker on it.

Now when I was out for 2 days I did have 2 shipments that we caught that were shipped out as original GM. We have since caught that & re-shipped.
We never have a problem taking back an original GM part & returning it to GM. Gm also never seems to have a problem taking anything back.
If it is one of our units you received please contact us direct & we will make it right.

On a side note I can guarantee none of my guys would take the time to whipe down anything :eek: :biggrin:

I am a process engineer for a big three supplier in the weatherstrip buisness. I can tell you it is possible to see powder or oil on the surface of epdm rubber or sponge rubber. If it is a white powder it is most likely either taulk or it good be what we call bleached. This is a result of un-vulcanized or undercured rubber. The oily residue could be either the natural oil in the rubber leaching out or a friction coefficient aid like LFC or Mclube. Since this is a molded part I would think the whiteness is a result of undercured rubber and the vasoline substance is McLube. We do service parts for all of our discontinuing programs and have for years. Like ones that we now get for our G-Bodys. I can tell you the least quality seals go to make up this lot and are stored in wharehouses for decades in mostly open containers. They are then shipped vendors or GM,Ford, or Chrysler dealerships for sale. If their is a plastic sleeve or bag on these seals it was done after the manufacturer shiped it to the selling vendor. This may not be of any use info wise for you but maybe you can pull something from it.