Failed Inspection- RPMs too high from 2nd to 3rd Gear!

OneBadTT

Yep, that is what I was told this time. 3rd time failed. The emissions test kept failing me because the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear made the RPMs go too high and then after the shift to 3rd, they drop quickly.

I have been playing around with adjusting the rod that comes down from the steering column and connects to the transmission lever. I have a P/N reading when I am in gear. I wonder if this caused the shifting problem?

I also adjusted the TV cable to see if I could get faster softer shifts. I have a CK Performance transmission. Can anyone get me going in the right direction? I'm so close to passing this inspection. This is the last year I have to worry about the Emission Test. :mad:

You failed an emissions test because the rpm's are too high on the 2-3 shift? And I thought California was bad. They'll fail you if you if you don't have a carb sticker on an aftermarket intake.

Yep, that is what I was told this time. 3rd time failed. The emissions test kept failing me because the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear made the RPMs go too high and then after the shift to 3rd, they drop quickly.

I have been playing around with adjusting the rod that comes down from the steering column and connects to the transmission lever. I have a P/N reading when I am in gear. I wonder if this caused the shifting problem?

I also adjusted the TV cable to see if I could get faster softer shifts. I have a CK Performance transmission. Can anyone get me going in the right direction? I'm so close to passing this inspection. This is the last year I have to worry about the Emission Test. :mad:

No, adjusting that particular piece of linkage wont affect your shift rpm.

I'm assuming this is NOT a WOT shift point you're refering to. So, your TV cable adjustment up near the throttle body is what has the most control over when part throttle shifts occur.

Go to the smog section and read that you no longer are required to pass an emissions test in Texas as of January 1, 2011

Here is what the official website states:

"Is your vehicle required to be emissions tested?

All Texas registered vehicles are required to receive an annual inspection. All inspections include a comprehensive safety inspection; however, some vehicles are required to have an emissions test in addition to the safety inspection.

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.

Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.

Vehicles 2 through 24 years old OR upon expiration of the two-year initial inspection sticker."

From what I read, 24 year old vehicles still will require emissions testing.

88-1 year old
89-2
90-3
91-4
92-5
93-6
94-7
95-8
96-9
97-10
98-11
99-12
00-13
01-14
02-15
03-16
04-17
05-18
06-19
07-20
08-21
09-22
10-23
11-24 years old

I hope I'm wrong since I failed the emissions test 3 times in a row as late as Saturday, January 1, 2011. So are you saying anything beyond January 1st, 2011 is 24 years + x days old, therefore past 24 years old?

I don't know what Texas is like but in PA if the car is driven less than 5k miles from the last inspection it's exempt for emissions no matter what the year is.

Illinois did the same crap.If you were up for a test when the law changed you had to take the last test. Its stupid but thats probably what your having to do. Are they are running your car on the dyne? If so thats the problem. they have to keep the speed of the dyne even with the computer .If it drops or raises out side their limits the test aborts and they have to start the test over.That has to be the problem they are having with your car

This is the last year I have to worry about the Emission Test. :mad:

You haven't had to worry about a sniffer for the past 5 days. Take it somewhere else if they are giving you a hard time. Are you having to pay anything each time they test?

If all else fails, call CK Tranny folks.
Conrad

I had to pay twice already. They charge you every other time. They do use a dyno and its killing me. I think you're right- it keeps kicking the car out of the test mode.

Is your tranny slipping? I would take it somewhere else. In PA you can get a waiver if you spend $150 or over to try and correct the problem. Also our dyno test only goes to 15mph in 2nd gear. OR roll the dice and drive without it ;)

Is your tranny slipping? I would take it somewhere else. In PA you can get a waiver if you spend $150 or over to try and correct the problem. Also our dyno test only goes to 15mph in 2nd gear. OR roll the dice and drive without it ;)

They dont run the 240 second test by you. Illinois used to run the im 240 that would get up to 57mph. I lot of people thought they were beating on their car but it really wasnt.Its no more than taking an on ramp to the expessway.

In my car I have a thumbwheel chip with a valet mode that won't let the car go over 15 mph. You should install one and then just tell them that 15mph is your cars top speed and so you won't have to worry about extra emissions because your car only has 1 gear.:D

Follow-up for anyone interested:

*Bought some CRC additive "guaranteed to pass inspection" and put it into a full tank of gas- ran the gas down to 1/4 tank.

*Changed plugs

*Changed ignition wires

*Installed a new K&N filter

*Changed the oil

Passed with great readings. Only one reading was at the boundary of acceptable, but the other readings were great! This was my 5th time to get it inspected. I did go to a different shop too.