Factory Theft Deterant Info

karolko

I have two questions about the Factory theft deterrant systems on our cars

First off, if i unplug the system, will the vehicle not start?

Secondly, does anyone have a photo o fwhat this thing exactly look like?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also is the starter interupter relay a
on all vehicles even ones without theft detterent, or is it apart of the theft system?

All the scematics on Gnttype.org are really low resolution and i am nowhere near my own manual.

Adrian Karolko

If you unplug the TD module the engine will not crank. The TD relay will need to be removed and a jumper installed across the the purple wire that feeds the starter solenoid.
Only vehicles that have TD will have the TD relay. The dash harness is specific for cars equipped with TD.

Dave

is the TD relay just a simple relay and what does the theft deterrant module look like and where can i find it?

My RPO codes say the car came with it, and i need to make some more room under the dash, that is the only real reason.

Adrian Karolko

I found my deterrant module attached on the bottom of my steering column and another one tucked in a hole above where the fuse's are located. I to want to remove it as well, but I have a bad feeling the car wont start if I do so.

I found my deterrant module attached on the bottom of my steering column and another one tucked in a hole above where the fuse's are located. I to want to remove it as well, but I have a bad feeling the car wont start if I do so.

U R pretty much correct.
I had it on my clapped out T [AKA butchered!]...It is gone, but to do so, I had to take the entire harness out of the car...A TRUE PITA!
See my other thread on 20A fuses.. That's what they were for.

I still have the plugs, harness pieces, and boxes, if anyone needs some repair parts. Yours for the ride!:D

Damn! that would be a pain, I just carry a jumper box in my car when I leave the house just in case and when its parked in the garage i put a trickle charger on it.