factory stereo and amp ?

turbobooster

just looking for tips and advice/opinions im keeping the factory ac delco stereo in the car with the ipod jack in it can an amp b added to this factory unit ? will it increase quality sound with the right speakers in it ? what kind of amp is recommended for this ? thanx

Sound quality will not be there until you upgrade the headunit. It's where everything starts.

i do agree on that but can and amp b installed to power up aftermarket speakers with factory unit?

not sure how well these works, but you can install a cleansweep and then add amps to it...I would only do this if you really really like the look of your stock stereo as it costs about as much as a good aftermarket stereo:

JL Audio CL441dsp CleanSweep® Sound processor for use when adding amps and speakers to a factory system at Crutchfield Signature

Otherwise yes you could add amps but as mentioned before they won't sound as good, you will have to buy adapters to convert the wires coming out of the stock unit into the RCA type that go into an amp and provide the signal for the speakers

wow nice link and product but pricey just want a little better sound over stock if i was going for loud clean sound then yea i would up grade head unit for more availability but for my ttype just looking for the next notch up still keeping the factory look thanx for that info

Yes, you can buy an amp that has line inputs. You use, lets say, your rear leads going to your speakers. Connect them to the amp then run your amp output to which ever speakers you want power going to. Are you planning on upgrading your speakers??

yea i do plan on upgrading as of now i have no speakers in the car lol any suggestions on amp output? speakers? ill b going with 6x9 in the rear thanx

Check out this site:
Discount Car Audio and Car Stereo: 1000s Models at Discount Prices.
I would say try an amp like this: Discount Car Audio and Car Stereo: Amplifiers: Kenwood Kac-8405 600-Watt 4/3/2-Channel Amplifier with Variable LPF/HPF
60 X 4 will be more than enough to run 3 1/2's up front and 6x9's in the rear. Get a good set of coaxial speaker (Inf's, Polk, MB Quart), your adapters to convert the rear's to 6x9's and your set. It should close to the sound your looking for....for the $$$ you spend

You can pick up a line output converter such as this one...
Lessco: Car Audio, Speakers, LCD Video, Keyless Entry, Remote Start, Alarm, Security System, GPS
It's mainly used if your amp only has RCA style jacks, and not speaker level inputs.
QUOTE]

This is what I was gonna recommend. I still don't like the idea of hacking factory wires up to accomidate a stereo system.I installed the factory head unit with MP3 jack this year on my friends stock concert sound system. It sounded great probably just need to replace those original speakers to make it perfect.
I have an Eclipse 4 way Amp also if your gonna use it for 6x9 and 3.5 don't turn the gain up too much you'll be looking for new speakers in about a month. A big thing with car audio is compatability you want the head unit to match the Amp and the speakers to get the best sound quality.

more great info thanx guys yea each to his own i just want the stock look on my ttype as much as possible and figured if i can get a little better sound over stock y not ill spend the money on sound on my other ride so lets see if i understand correctly so i can use this converter if i have preamp inputs on the amp right? or other option buy an amp with speaker level inputs? and of course better speakers what did u mean hack up wires? did u have to hack wen u installed the converter on ur buddies ride

The reason I went with a stock unit is theft deterrent,the good system went missing along with the passenger side window and trunklid............:mad:

The reason I went with a stock unit is theft deterrent,the good system went missing along with the passenger side window and trunklid............:mad:

Understand, that's why I don't "advertise" what my car has by blasting my tunes nor do I tell anyone what I have, also I remove the detachable face plate. I have to anyways for the built in alarm in the radio to work. :)

What it is going to come down to is how good you want it to sound.There are a couple of different styles of line out converters that can be had at a reasonable price,but the down side of the cheaper ones is the sound quality,You can go with some of the better ones and and get better sound ,but they are expensive and after purchasing either one you still have to buy and wire the amp which again is going to affect the sound quality cheaper amp cheaper sound and so on.IMO if you want to keep the factory and you want some better sound you need to get a half decent line out convertor and a decent 4 channel amp 5 channel if you want a sub.

another reason y id like to keep the stock look

You can have it both ways . .

I wanted the stock look of the delco concert sound system as well, but was concerned about the sound quality. Ebay seller custom_radios_oem helped me by adding preamps to the original delco radio ($40). He also added the ipod jack. His name is Troy. He's a very nice guy and was a great ebay seller. recommended.

I have his number if you need it.

JT

You can have it both ways . .

I wanted the stock look of the delco concert sound system as well, but was concerned about the sound quality. Ebay seller custom_radios_oem helped me by adding preamps to the original delco radio ($40). He also added the ipod jack. His name is Troy. He's a very nice guy and was a great ebay seller. recommended.

I have his number if you need it.

JT
Pic please.