Factory specs on a 1984-85 T/R.

1of1547

Village Idiot!!!
We have a pissing battle going on at work about a 1985 IROC and a SVO Mustang. I've got the original articles on the IROC and SVO. But I need a copy of a article for a 84 or 85 T/R. I know the horsepower and torque. But I need the specs for quarter, 0-60, and skidpad. Thanks for any information on the T/R's.

I have a copy of an article for Motor Trend, Dec 1983. 0 to 60 is 7.50 sec, standing quarter is 15.88 sec at 87.7 mph and skidpad is 0.75 g.

I remember that the stock hot airs were 15.0 in the quarter. But I cannot back it though. This is based on the previous owners statements which I have no reason to doubt. My 2 cents. Bad

I live at a mile above sea level and with only a chip and eliminated mufflers on my otherwise stock 85 Grand National I was able to run a 15.88 quarter mile, and I was spinning my tires all the way thru first gear. I would have to say with that, that a stock hotair at sea level would run better than 15.88

We have a pissing battle going on at work about a 1985 IROC and a SVO Mustang. I've got the original articles on the IROC and SVO. But I need a copy of a article for a 84 or 85 T/R. I know the horsepower and torque. But I need the specs for quarter, 0-60, and skidpad. Thanks for any information on the T/R's.

My absolute bone stock 84 with original exhaust, original (2nd set) Goodyear
Eagle GT tires, and only stock or stock replacement parts and 20 plus years
old ran 15.4. Ensuring the TPS is not off and the floor mats weren't in the
way improved my original 15.8 times.

bye, Ed
Ed Chapman's Buick Turbo Regal Page

-- 84 T-Type WH1 15.4@89 bone stock original - runner up B-5 GS nats 2004
2nd place GS nationals car show class V (nonintercooled) 2006
-- 87 T 14.1@97 stock daily driver
-- 87 GN bone stock original - 399/400 best 2 door in show 2003 BCA
397/400 BCA senior gold 2005 nationals (highest award)
-- 03 GSX 14.9@93 bone stock daily driver

I see the same

I have an 84 T Type and it is stock and it runs high 15's, not to bad for the age and the miles racked up on it. I hate to say it though, but my old 85 SVO turbo 4 banger was stock and ran faster times!!! Car did weigh alot less!!

look below sorry mest up on this one, how do i del this???????????? anyway how those clips help guys, i still like hot airs just as much as IC buicks, thing is they are still buick/GM

85_BuickGrandNationalvsMonteCarl-7.jpg

85_BuickGrandNationalvsMonteCarl-6.jpg

85_BuickGrandNationalvsMonteCarl-5.jpg

85_BuickGrandNationalvsMonteCarl-4.jpg

a49d_12.jpg

85_BuickGrandNationalvsMonteCarl-3.jpg
hope this helps some

Just so you know!!!

The Mustang Svo turbo car is pretty rare itself. They only made them for 3 years and they put out almost as much horses as a Hot Air but with only 2.3 liters. :eek:

i believe in 84 the SVO had 175 hp, same as the 5.0 at the time. I heard sales were to low to kept the SVO GOING, they did beef up some( don't know how many ) up to 205hp with bigger exhaust and turbo along with other stuff. I think these SVO were intercooled, that being said our HOt airs of course were not. I like my t-type i still put todays cars in there place and if not i hang with them. Not bad at all for the age and not being intercooled. Now if they had made GNs/types a 5speed wow (one that could handle the power) that would have been great.

Aint no way that a MCSS is a couple of clicks slower than the Hot Air. You know these car magazines didn't figure out how to launch a turbo'd automatic until the IC cars came out.And that's because Buick had to show them how. I know because I've owned both a MCSS and a HA. Torque rules! Come on! 245 lb.ft. against 300 lb.ft.! Just look at the 30 lb.ft. difference between the HA and IC cars. You know I've always said the fastest Chevy G-body was the one with a turbo Buick under the hood. If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd buy a 81 carb-turbo MC and pit it against any year of MCSS to prove my theory.:mad:

here are some clips with the IC Buicks, There are alot of factorys that go into ET's, weather,tune, tire psi etc etc. Still sucks that the SVO were intercooled but for some reason the 1st SFI turbo buick's were not. HMM monte carlo ss, those are nice, i'm looking for one with a good body(most are all mest up ) DAMN ABS bumpers!! engine power sucks on the SS but why not drop in a crate. I have see a few Montes & 442's powered by the mighty GN. Well i hope they bring back the Grand national, just wish they would kept somewhat the same look. Like what they did with the dodge challenger R/T, looks the same as the old ones just smoother body,updated. That would be great to see a updated Grand national.
untitled4564564.jpg

untitled647456456.jpg

untitled456456456456.jpg
THE PRICE TAG IS crazy, thats nothing now a days but sure it was alot back in the day.

hey could you post up the whole GS/TTYPE article and enlarge some of the smaller print stuff? Is there a link to a site or something? I'd like be able to read the rest of it:biggrin: