Factory cam #25517480

TRiv

Have a factory Buick cam from ebay said to be from an 87 GN with part number on cam #25517480 with matching lifters numbered as removed @ 30,000 miles. Is this a correct number or from a hot air or NA?

I don't have any of those around, usually hit the scap pile pretty quick. I would suggest calling GM, but I know they don't have a listing. The next suggestion is to install it and check the specs, degree the cam. If I remember, the factory cam is about 192/196.

Hope this helps you.

I don't have any of those around, usually hit the scap pile pretty quick. I would suggest calling GM, but I know they don't have a listing. The next suggestion is to install it and check the specs, degree the cam. If I remember, the factory cam is about 192/196.

Hope this helps you.

Was trying to go the lazy way and hope someone here would know if this is a cam from an 86-7 GN or 86-7 GM replacement part. The number is GM and found in between the lobes on the cam. I am just upgrading an 85 turbo Riviera to stock 86-7 GN spec, not looking to make a race car. If no one knows here I'll scrap it an go with a new cam 206/206? lifters, double roller chain, done. Just wanted to use the factory one to avoid having to use oil additives ZDDP? with an aftermarket cam.

degree the cam

How do you go about this if you dont have any info with it? You would need some baseline to go off of or cam doctor the cam to get the valve opening and closing times. Where would you install the factory cam?

Was trying to go the lazy way and hope someone here would know if this is a cam from an 86-7 GN or 86-7 GM replacement part. The number is GM and found in between the lobes on the cam. I am just upgrading an 85 turbo Riviera to stock 86-7 GN spec, not looking to make a race car. If no one knows here I'll scrap it an go with a new cam 206/206? lifters, double roller chain, done. Just wanted to use the factory one to avoid having to use oil additives ZDDP? with an aftermarket cam.

Gonna need ZDDP with any flat tappet including a GM one.

Have a factory Buick cam from ebay said to be from an 87 GN with part number on cam #25517480 with matching lifters numbered as removed @ 30,000 miles. Is this a correct number or from a hot air or NA?

thats the correct number for the stock 86/7 cam------but reusing the lifters is not a good idea unless you put them back in the original block------the idea is that once they have "broken in" to the respective lobes they must stay that way-----totally correct IF they go back in the same block-----tolerances in these blocks especially in the lifter galley are not so exacting-----changing them to a different block will result in totally different contact patterns------you are flirting with disaster to attempt it-------and as for the zddp issue you need it with any flat tappet cam-----the factory cams were protected because the standard SF and SG oil that was current at the time these cars were sold had adequate doses of it-------its the oil that has changed------not the cams............RC

thats the correct number for the stock 86/7 cam------but reusing the lifters is not a good idea unless you put them back in the original block------the idea is that once they have "broken in" to the respective lobes they must stay that way-----totally correct IF they go back in the same block-----tolerances in these blocks especially in the lifter galley are not so exacting-----changing them to a different block will result in totally different contact patterns------you are flirting with disaster to attempt it-------and as for the zddp issue you need it with any flat tappet cam-----the factory cams were protected because the standard SF and SG oil that was current at the time these cars were sold had adequate doses of it-------its the oil that has changed------not the cams............RC

Thanks , just the info I was looking for, this combo should only go back in the block it cam from if used again. Would using new lifters be ok ( have 2 sets of new TRW lifters) or get GM lifters, or better yet just get a close to stock replacement from one of the venders here? Was just trying to use all original GM parts in my 85 turbo Riviera upgrade.

By the way, I did try and find the cam part number using the search with no results, it's too bad the restoration forum here only seems to deal mostly with body,paint, and interior of turbo Buicks, information there about original turbo Buick drive train parts,rebuilding,assembling,etc. would not only help in restoring a drivetrain, but also help others who need to back off a few of the mods to these cars from past owners to get a better starting point to modify from.

Thanks guys for the advice on ZDDP also.