F1 Race

b231v6

Anybody going to the race at Indy? Going to drive the GN down friday and camp the week end.:D

Dude, I envy you.....would love to watch those land rockets.....we'll see how M.Schumacher does on our continent!:eek:

He'll probably win,but ya never know. I root for Trulli. One thing for sure is, you have to go to experience what these cars can do.Buddy who goes with us is leaving Wed night so he can do the walk around Thurs.
Just hopeing after the electric work done on the GN this past week it'll make it.It's running great now.:D

This will be the first time in 4 years that I'll miss the race :( . My 15 yr. old son and I have gone every year, but this year he's got a three week trip with the Boy Scouts to Philmont, and it probably wouldn't a lot of fun going by myself. Different strokes for different folks, but F1 cars are sure a rush to see up close! The first time we went to Indy, we got there at the beginning of a practice session on Saturday and the sound of those cars gave me chills. We have been Schumacher supporters since his early years at Benneton, and he definitely has talent. Got to wonder what Raikkonen would do in a red car :D .

19000 rpm

do any F1 followers here know if these cars really run at 19,000 rpm all day long ? I was amazed when I heard an announcer on speed channel say this....

No, not all day long, but they routinely touch 19,000 rpm at shift points and just slightly less on the straights. Pretty impressive for a naturally aspirated 3 liter v-10 to produce a rumored 850+ horsepower - and live at those rpm's! If I remember correctly, the combined weight of an F1 car WITH driver is right at 1300 -1350 pounds. Now thats a horsepower to weight ratio.

Whats really impressive is up until last years those motors lived at that hp/rpms for only about 500 miles. NOW due to the new rules the motors make the same power but have to last the whole race weekend! (most got it except Mercedes and any Honda motor in Satos car LOL)

Most races are only about 1 hour long so the all day is not an issue. I am amazed that some people here in the States watch F1. When it was here a few years ago it was the lowest watched race in televised motor sports history?

Yes, and I really doubt that it will be in the U.S. very long. It isn't very exciting to watch the majority of the time. I really enjoy the strategy involved between teams/drivers like that seen at the last race in Montreal, but personally I believe we as a nation are a bit too "Nascar" to see F1 evolve. If we had a U.S. born driver in the series, maybe.

Yes the stands are filled with a more internatinal flare. The friend of mine who's been going to these races with me since Indy's had them ,has a good point to the popularity. Going to CART,nascrap and F1. Cart is great because you can get right up to the teams and check out their cars,nascrap is a big red neck party the weekend of the race and then a blaah race.F1 is not much for partying on the weekend(except for the crazies,which I'm one of). Can't see what they do to the car(very secretive)except keeping track of lap times. Watching a car stop,turn and go like their able to do is awesome.

I wonder Why somebody like Menard isn't in F1,he's only worth a few billion!!

It would be great to have F1 at Elkhart Lake. Anybody willing to start taking donations for pit improvements, hospitality and lodging improvements,and yes track improvements to meet F1 needs.

I would like to see Jarno do good. Very good driver and he's got a team in Renault that's just about ready to break thru.

I can't even comprehend an engine that fires 180 or so times a second,maybe that's why they need neumatic valve train.:eek:

I'm a big F1 fan and love watching them hauling thru "S's" and long sweeping turns at top speed. The accelleration is simply mind numbing. I've heard figures that they do mid 9's@160mph in either Car and Driver or some other mag.

Watching the race you can see a disply of the tach and they spend most of their time between 15K-18K rpm.

Roundy round NASCAR is about as boring as it gets..... put a monkey in a car and turn left. Just my opinion. I'm not a redneck so maybe that is why I think that. Road race NASCAR is great to watch and I catch it every year at Sears Point (Infineon) as that is much more driver skill.

On SpeedVision I watch as much F1 and FIA World Rally Challenge as possible. Thank God for Tivo to record it. The Monte Carlo race is probably my favorite. I've been watching that since I was probably 10 years old on television. Having European parents helps.....

-Mark

The facility at Indy is great for F-1. I was impressed when I saw it last year. It was the first time I had been back at indy since I moved from there in "69. Should be a great race with those bumble bee's flying around the S's and short chutes.